Chapter 12

Winter break was really nice for Brittany. This was the first Christmas she was actually with Santana as a couple, and she wanted to make it special. It was really fun doing the taping of the Christmas special and decorating the glee club tree and dancing with Santana. Brittany couldn't remember being this happy for a Christmas since she was little. Santana spent the night at her house on Christmas Eve so she woke up to her girlfriend Christmas morning. That was one of the best Christmas presents she could have ever gotten. Well, that and the Christmas sex. Having sex on Christmas was a really, really nice present.

When they returned to school after the break, things had calmed down pretty well. They didn't have to deal with catcalls from any stupid boys or dirty looks. Brittany was pretty happy that McKinley High had learned how to tolerate her and Santana and Kurt and Blaine as couples. Santana was feeling really comfortable about being affectionate in public now, and Brittany was beyond ecstatic when her girlfriend started wanting to kiss her in the hallways. They had come such a long way from whispered confessions and hiding.

Brittany was really excited about Valentine's Day, too, because it was the first time she was celebrating the holiday with someone she was truly in love with. She spent hours making a playlist of songs that reminded her of Santana and she had planned on spending that night making love to her gorgeous girlfriend.

Then Principal Figgins had to put a damper on her day by calling them into his office to tell them they had to stop kissing at school. Brittany was so upset. She thought that the students had come so far in accepting them, but it turns out that she was wrong. Somebody had complained and Santana was crushed. Brittany hated seeing how upset the other girl got when she found out that it was okay for straight couples to kiss at school, just not the gay ones. It wasn't fair. Brittany really couldn't understand why everyone couldn't just accept them and leave them alone. They weren't hurting anybody.

She fought not to cry in front of Figgins, and then Santana stormed out of the office. Brittany went to find her, needing the Latina to know that she hated not being able to make at least McKinley High a safe environment for the girl she loved.

"Santana, I'm so sorry about this," she said sadly as she caught up with Santana in the hallway. She couldn't meet the Latina's eyes.

"It's not your fault, Brit," Santana promised, frustrated. "It's the ridiculous double standard we now get at this school due to a few religious freaks. I mean, it's apparently okay that the troll and Lumps can examine each other's throats with their tongues, but if our lips so much as touch each other then we get in trouble. God, I want to find out who complained and go all Lima Heights!"

Brittany looked up then, hoping Santana could see how much she didn't want the brunette to use violence.

"No, don't do that," she implored. "It would only make things worse, and you know that. I am just sorry that I can't use my power as senior class president to mandate that it is okay for us to kiss in public. I asked Principal Figgins, and he said that even if I showed up to the meetings I couldn't make that rule. I just don't understand why we even elect somebody as president if they can't do anything to fix problems at this school. That's why I ran in the first place, to make things better here for us."

Brittany was really upset now, fighting off the tears that were threatening to fall. She felt like such a failure. She couldn't be president right, she couldn't pass her classes, and she couldn't even protect her girlfriend from bigots no matter how hard she would try. Her eyes dropped to the floor until she felt Santana's hands grab hers. She looked up, meeting Santana's eyes which were no longer flickering with rage.

"Babe, you can't fix everybody's opinions," Santana told her. "No matter what, we are going to deal with people who don't like us and our relationship. The only things we can do are stand up for ourselves or ignore them, but the fact is they will probably still hate us."