INSTALLMENT V

April 7, 1928

Mrs. Maxwell arrived on Tuesday.

Mr. Harp had us gather in the drawing room, like we had the first night of our meeting each other. This time, we were much more animated: the echoing room was filled with the voices of eighteen people. I found myself in conversation with Mr. Forrest (of course), Audrey Walters, and Eda Jacobs, of all people.

I was a little surprised to discover Miss Jacobs tolerated the presence of a black woman in the conversation. I myself have nothing against my fellow human beings: my novel sparked controversy over advocating for the rights of native peoples. Fostered in our time is the segregation of races, though, specifically by people of the higher class, and I found it a little curious that Miss Jacobs paid nearly no attention to this. In fact, she seemed very friendly towards Miss Walters.

The oddity was cleared up soon enough. Miss Jacob's mother was black. She made this very evident to us nearly as soon as the conversation started. "I'll have no ill-meaning words directed towards Miss Walters here, you hear me?" she said in a prim voice. "I'll have no demeaning actions made towards her tonight. My mother was a Negro, and I'm proud of my heritage. I didn't think I'd need to say this, as I thought we were all progressive here, but after what that horrid Adella Hansen said last night, I'll have this made very clear. You understand?"

Miss Jacobs is a severe woman, who looks older than she really is except around the face. Her clothing is always impeccable, and that night she had chosen a pink leather jacket with frighteningly tall shoulder pads. They made her look even taller than she already is.

"Aw, Eda, honey, there's no need for that," Miss Walters interposed. "I've lived my life this far. I'm a tough girl."

"You have no need to worry about such issues with us, Miss Jacobs," Mr. Forrest said. "Miss Thronton and I happen to hold similar beliefs as you."

"That's lucky. I'd have to stop talking to you if you answered otherwise."

Miss Jacobs settled down after this, and we eased into conversation.

"Have you known each other long?" I asked Miss Jacobs and Miss Walters.

"Not much longer than you've known us. People like us form bonds where we can find them, in a world like this."

"Very true," Mr. Forrest observed. "I'd wager a cask of white wine that half of the people in this room wouldn't even speak to you."

"Sorry, Mr. Forrest, but I don't have any wine," Miss Walters said with a smile. "You're right, though."

"I just have a question for you two, if you don't mind," Miss Jacobs said, dropping her voice to a whisper. "What makes you unlike the others? I have my reasons, and Audrey clearly has hers; but why bother speaking to someone like us if you can avoid it?"

"Don't you think that's a little odd to ask someone, Eda?" Audrey asked, but she looked curious as well.

"I come from the South. Grew up poor," Mr. Forrest said simply. "Spent enough time in the mud that we all looked the same."

"I suppose it's because I know what it's like to struggle, as a woman," I said as Miss Jacobs turned to me. "I remember being a girl during the passing of the Nineteenth Amendment, and thinking: 'Everyone should be able to feel as free as this.'"

"You'd think Miss Hansen would share that point of view," Miss Jacobs muttered. "I doubt she even approves of women voting in the first place."

"So how have your last few weeks been?" Miss Walters said abruptly. "I'm havin' a fantastic time, at least. This manor is like a haven for music! If I want to sing without interruptin' anyone, I can sing all I want, because the walls are soundproof! Not to mention, Abbott has been such a gent in accompanyin' me on the piano."