INSTALLMENT XXVIII

September 15, 1928

Inspector Cromwell returned with his verdict. You will never believe who he has taken into custody!

It happened on Monday. I was working in my new study (which has been a marvelous workplace, by the by), when I heard a commotion down on the library floor. Curious, I stopped typing to listen.

"Is Rosie in here?" I heard Bridget's voice ask. She sounded breathless and panicked.

"No, I don't think so," Miss Newman's voice replied. "She hasn't been in here all day."

"Damn, I thought I might find her in here, you know, because she's usually in here and all. Do you know where she is?"

"Haven't seen her."

Growing interested by Bridget's seeming urgency, I removed myself from my office and began down the stairs. I had been contemplating hailing her from the banister of my office, but she doesn't know about the haven yet, and I'd rather keep it that way. Now that she knows of the second music-room, I don't know of anywhere else that is safe from Bridget's interruption.

I nearly ran directly into Bridget on the staircase. She didn't even question my presence there and immediately grabbed my hand, already pulling me back down the stairs. "Come, Rosie, come on, hurry up! They might be gone already, and I don't want to miss it! Come on, you must see this, it's just so shocking. Hurry!"

I had a thousand burning questions, but followed her silently and without delay. I knew that Bridget wouldn't answer any of my inquiries, anyway, and I figured it was just something as unimportant as Antonio hacking up one of her bracelets, which the little devil had somehow gotten his jaws around on Sunday.

She tugged me down the hall, and we burst into the foyer, an intrigued Miss Newman trailing behind us. Inspector Cromwell was standing in front of the entrance doors, his figure erect, as if an electric shock had gone down his spine. He ignored us as we entered the foyer, instead staring straight ahead.

"What is it?" I whispered to Bridget as she pulled me over to one of the divans resting against the wall and sat down.

"You'll see," she whispered.

I began to notice other members of the manor peeking out from various spots around the foyer. Miss Jacobs and Mr. Leigh peered out from over the balcony where the glove-box once stood. Miss Pearce was in the drawing room, glancing out in an inconspicuous manner every so often. Mr. Connolly was behind the banister of the grand staircase, observing the scene with interest and seeming confusion. I could faintly make out Miss Hansen's figure behind him. Everyone's eyes seemed inevitably to draw back to Inspector Cromwell, who was oblivious to them all.

The entirety of the foyer was set in a tense silence. I shifted around uncomfortably, glancing at Bridget now and then, whose rapt attention was focused on the hallway leading to the parlor. I was about to ask her again what was happening, when it finally dawned on me. Cromwell was here to arrest the assassin.

Now I, too, was staring at the entrance of the hallway with fascination. It had come so soon! Where was Audrey? My first thought was that we should be celebrating, but the mood in the room was much too strained for that. As I looked around the room again, I realized that nobody here could be the assassin. The thought came to me with some relief. At least I had been right about something.

Then who was it? Faces flashed through my mind. Perhaps it was Mr. Hobbes, jealous of anyone else holding musical talent and taking out his anger on Mr. Abbott and Audrey. Perhaps it was Mr. Stephenson, with a deep hatred for all people, driven to murder by his sick mind. Or- no. It was Stenhouse! Of course it was; I had known this the entire time. The strange and mysterious man was the perfect suspect. Though I didn't have any idea what motive he would have, it didn't matter; it just made the suspense more exciting. At last I would find out the assassin's identity, and send them away once and for all!