INSTALLMENT XXVI

September 1, 1928

Inspector Cromwell arrived this week. After examining the mansion a little while, he questioned each of us individually. Though he cannot tell me what he has found or what he suspects happened, he has kindly provided us with the transcripts of his interviews. He may or may not have removed parts with sensitive information, but then, that isn't really our business. They are as follows.

I would also like to add here that we have determined the assassin must be someone within the manor itself, as the address of Harp's Manor is not public knowledge and therefore it would be highly unusual if an outsider hunted it down. Additionally, it must have been someone within the manor that planted the explosion for obvious reasons. The person who dropped the bowling ball, on the other hand, was likely hired help.

(Note: As these transcripts take up so much space in the paper, you will notice there is not an installment of Her Majesty this week. I apologize; but I decided that these were more important than my silly romance novel.)

Mr. Booker Abbott

IC: Good morning. Have a seat.

BA: Thank you.

IC: So, Mr. Abbott. I understand that you are a pianist?

BA: That is correct.

IC: A few weeks ago, I have here, there was an explosion in the music room. The weapon, deemed to be a pipe bomb, was placed atop the piano, inside of a glass vase. The detonation of this object released glass shards that embedded themselves in nearly every corner of the room. Do you recall this event?

BA: Yes, I do.

IC: Were you in the room at the time of the explosion?

BA: No.

IC: Were you aware of the explosion when it happened?

BA: I heard a loud noise and rushed to see what the matter was. I was actually going down to the music room to practice at that very moment.

IC: Indeed. Do you remember what time it was that you heard the explosion?

BA: It must've been just before eleven A.M. That's when I usually go down to practice.

IC: Did you see the pipe bomb in question?

BA: I did not. I left right before they uncovered it, I believe.

IC: Why did you leave? Were you not interested in what had happened?

BA: I was, of course. However, I also felt it necessary to inform Miss Walters of the incident.

IC: Why did you think of Miss Walters?

BA: Well, usually we practice together, being musicians and all. Oftentimes she waits in the room before I arrive. By some chance she had been delayed by Miss Burgess, I believe. Otherwise, it is likely she would have been in the room during the explosion.

IC: Interesting. And you found Miss Walters, safe and sound, and told her what happened?

BA: Yes. You may ask her, if you do not believe me.

IC: Moving on. Earlier this year, in the month of May, one of your housemates, Mr. Leigh, invited a group of band players over to the manor. On their last day in the manor, during a farewell party, a bowling ball dropped through the glass ceiling and nearly crushed you and Miss Walters. Do you remember this?

BA: I don't believe I could forget.

IC: Did you see anyone on the roof before or after the bowling ball was dropped?