INSTALLMENT XLI

December 15, 1928

I am not doing very well at Mr. Harp's lottery game. For the past six weeks, I have not made anything worth presenting at his exhibition in October. Hopefully next week I shall be with someone who paints or sculpts or something, because at this rate I really doubt anything I make will even make an appearance at the exhibit.

This is not to say that I haven't been doing anything, of course; it appears that I have simply been busy with items outside of Mr. Harp's grand scheme. The readership of Her Majesty, for example, is growing at an alarming rate, and I receive letters almost daily about it. This unprecedented spike is truly startling. I wasn't even sure anyone would read it in the first place; now it is popular, and more than that. As always, I'd like to thank all my readers out there who are continuing to put up with my ridiculous tales. Harp must not be happy about it. I wouldn't say it detracts from this article at all; in fact, the interest in Her Majesty is drawing readers to the Saturday Gazette, which is actually beneficial for Harp's Manor; but is apparent readers are not seeking out this story, and are instead reading it as a bonus. It is all very well; the less people who take interest in my personal life, the better, in my opinion.

I also finally attended an interview with Harrison, which cannot exactly be considered exhibition-worthy material, but is an artistic pursuit nonetheless. I might as well speak of it here. You've likely already heard it: 9 with Marsh has become a live radio show rather than a pre-recorded one, as initially supposed, and our interview premiered on Tuesday. Every blunder I made was captured in the moment for the entire nation to hear. I didn't realize this until we got to the recording studio, or I might not have come at all. I was still under the impression that his interviews at least were pre-recorded, even though I knew all else was live.

I honestly don't know how he does it. I suppose it must have something to do with thinking on his feet, but if I was put in front of a microphone and expected to perform an entire show, I'd absolutely clam up. I nearly did, too, and would have, if not for Harrison's guidance. He briefed me with the general questions before going live, and we held an abbreviated mock interview before the show started. After a while, the whole thing began to feel more natural, and I could almost forget that anybody could have been listening.

The questions, if you didn't tune in, were nothing to be sorry about missing. Most of it was quite basic stuff: where I lived as a child, how I ended up in Harp's Manor, thoughts on writing, the usual. I suppose I'm grateful for the ease of the interview; there was certainly nothing shocking that would have put me in silence to consider my answer. I think Harrison is a good host, and a good interviewer. While I thought the questions were basic enough, perhaps people like that kind of stuff. I'm no radio host; what do I know about interviewing people?

I will admit, however, I felt slightly uncomfortable by a few of his questions. I don't think he wrote them with the intention of asking them specifically to me; in fact, I'm unsure how much say he had in the questions he asked. I haven't listened to any of his other interviews, so perhaps he asks them to everyone. He assured me after the interview that he wasn't trying to pry, so at least he realized my reluctance to answer. I'd rather not repeat the questions here, so if you didn't catch them you'll just never know what they are.

The environment of the place wasn't exactly welcoming, either. I'm sure Harrison is just used to it so he doesn't notice, but there are some men at the station that are, for lack of a better word, creeps. I hate it when men in power think they're entitled to examine women like we're farm animals, and they're trying to pick the best one to take to the butcher's. Perhaps it's because Harrison's a man himself and doesn't notice these things, but I was well near taking off my shoe and giving a few of them the Bridget Burgess treatment.