INSTALLMENT XXXIII

October 20, 1928

Well! I have finally discovered where my photograph went to; and to no good, either.

Sunday was a dreadfully drizzly day, with dreary rain lashing against all the windows and thunder grumbling overhead. Without any possible prospect of a daily walk, I retreated to my study to work on writing. Thunderstorms simply put me in the mood for writing; I cannot explain it. I don't particularly like the rain, nor do I wish for the miserable weather to be prolonged, but while it lasts, I usually have bursts of inspiration.

The study really is the perfect room. The grand fireplace in the library sits directly below me, and the chimney runs up the side, leaving a brick opening in the wall that allows heat to enter through. I was never once chilly while I worked, even with the cold raindrops pounding against the windows behind me. I admire Mr. Leigh for finding a retreat so suitable for all my needs and desires!

It was here that I was working, typing away, when there was a knock at the door. I was rather curious as to who could be behind it, as I was unaware of many people knowing of the study itself. I called for them to come in anyway, and who but Harrison entered. His hands were tucked behind his back in a secretive manner, arranged in a way to conceal something from the direct onlooker.

"Harrison!" I said. "How did you find me here?"

"Leigh told me," he said. "This is a fine place you've got here, Rosetta. Hoarding it all to yourself?"

"Not on purpose. It's not like it's particularly hidden, in any case."

"True at that. You know, it's really a fine day to be somewhere near the windows," he said thoughtfully, staring out behind me.

"What, to be distracted by the flashes of lightning and jolted by the rumbling of thunder every few seconds? It cannot be that you enjoy the view; there's hardly anything to see outside, so thick are the clouds. You may as well be complimenting a nighty rainshower."

"I do think it looks attractive, actually. You forget that we have varying opinions on the matter of beauty when it comes to nature. Besides, you don't seem to mind it half as much as you make it seem; otherwise, you'd close the curtains."

"Is there any particular reason for your searching for me, Harrison?" I asked, blushing.

"Does a man need a reason to visit a lovely lady?"

"This one does. I'm in the middle of a rather important scene, and would like to focus on it very much. I'm just teasing, of course," I added after glancing up and spotting his expression. "I'd appreciate your company any time."

He relaxed. "You're right about my coming here with a purpose, though I'd love to stay and listen to you type. However, I don't think you'll find this reason of mine to be irksome." Harrison smiled and pulled his hands out from behind his back. "Voila!"

I leaned forward eagerly. In his hands was a large, floppy folder, with some indistinguishable pencil markings on the front. After examining it for a few seconds, I still found myself at a loss for what it was supposed to be. "It's a folder," I said.

He grinned. "It's what's inside the folder is what's exciting. Look! Adella finally caved in and lent it to me. I wasn't even sure she still had it. Isn't that wonderful?"

My eyes brightened once I realized what he meant. "She finally gave you Raincloud Lovers?"

"About time, too. She can be difficult, but I'd do anything for you." He glanced at the typewriter sitting in front of me. "Now, if you'd prefer writing that scene of yours-"