INSTALLMENT XV

June 16, 1928

A most unpleasant surprise greeted us on Tuesday. Audrey and I were chatting in the music room when we heard the entry doors swing open. We hushed each other and strained our ears, wondering who it was. My secret hope was that Marsh had finally returned.

My hopes were dashed when we realized that there were multiple sets of footsteps; five, at least. Audrey tilted her head questioningly, and I shrugged. Cautiously, we peered out into the hallway.

My stomach twisted in a knot. Mrs. Maxwell was at the door, greeting six other women clad in dark, heavy dresses. They were varying ages, all with pale skin, downcast faces, and grim, smug expressions. "Greetings, sisters," Mrs. Maxwell was saying.

Audrey's eyes widened and she pulled me back into the room. "Is she part of a coven?" I asked in shock.

"Not quite," Audrey said in a hurried whisper. "Eda's told me about them. Apparently they're an offshoot of the Pillar of Fire group. You know, fundamentalism and all that. You best be cautious around them, Rosie. They may pretend to advocate for women's rights, but they're really the most horrible people you'll ever meet, so don't be fooled by them."

Fundamentalism. Of course I should have suspected such a thing from Mrs. Maxwell. It did explain her overbearing covering and frequent ejaculations about God. I know I have not mentioned them in great length here, if at all, but to be honest, the reason for that is my little interest in doing so. I apologize, therefore, for your lack of knowledge in the subject.

They began to walk towards us, and we quickly resumed our positions at the piano. The group passed by blindly, not even glancing up from the ground as they made their way down the hall, much less into the music room. After ascertaining they were gone out of earshot, we turned towards Mr. Abbott. "I wonder why they've come," I said.

"Mr. Leigh had the Doppelgangers come over. I suppose it was only a matter of time before we received a different sort of group," Mr. Abbott said.

"Mr. Leigh had a reason to bring them over. Those ladies look like they're planning on invading the place."

"Perhaps they've come here to recruit," Audrey said with a frown. "I'm sure I can think of one woman who would wish to join their ranks."

"Who?"

"Miss Hansen, of course!"

"They've probably just come to visit," Mr. Abbott said. "I can't imagine a group like theirs would enjoy remaining apart for so long. Their visit is probably overdue, and it's not on purpose that they haven't visited earlier. They will stay for probably a week but no longer than two, and you will not have to worry yourselves about them any longer."

"How are you so very calm?" Audrey asked him. "I would be more worried if I was you. You know they support the Klan-"

"Hush!" Mr. Abbott lowered his voice. "It is not our place to make conspiracies about whom they are affiliated with. You remember the last time you and Miss Thornton ran away with conspiracies?"

"Fair enough," Audrey said, "but I have proof they do. Miss Jacobs told me. It's why the two can't stand each other. Abbott, we better watch out! I wouldn't put it past them to have dropped that bowling ball on us."

"Miss Walters, I worry more about you watching out than I. You have a propensity to over excite, leading you to pursue actions you wouldn't otherwise think of. Miss Thornton, that goes for you, too, though I have no fear of Mrs. Maxwell and her friends worrying you. You must avoid sharing conspiracies with Miss Walters; otherwise, who knows what chaos you will find yourselves in."