4. Wizard's Chess

"Good morning, Granger"  I said as I sat near the Gryffindor

"Good morning, Granger"  I said as I sat near the Gryffindor. She shifted her attention from the book she was reading to look at me. I gave her a small smile.

"Good morning, Y/N" She briefly said and continued to read, showing no emotion at all. I started to put my books on the desk and make myself comfortable on the chair while Hermione ignored my presence completely.

It had passed a couple of days since the herbology class we had and things were fairly calm at Hogwarts, despite the tons of homework that we had to do every day. Now, I was in my Transfiguration class. The only class that I have alone with Hermione.

Students were slowly starting to fill the classroom and I found myself getting bored, so I decided to strike a conversation with the girl near me. Hermione had her head slightly tilted to the side as her eyes scanned through the words written in her book. I couldn't help but carefully check her out. I ran my eyes over her faintly furrowed eyebrows, falling on her perfect small nose, and finally on her sharp jawline, lingering my eyes there. She seemed very concentrated.

"You are staring" She called me out without even taking her attention off of the book. I felt the embarrassment starting to fill me. I quickly shifted my gaze to a random object on my desk and scratched the back of my neck. An awkward silence stayed between us for a few seconds.

"What are you reading?" I moved my body on the chair so I could face her as I tried my best to make the embarrassment from the previous event fade away.

"Do you even care?" She said back, still not looking at me. I squinted my eyes a little to look at her book, smirking as I recognized it.

"it's The Tales of Beedle the Bard by Beedle the Bard, isn't it?" As soon as the name of the book was mentioned, Hermione looked up at me. She probably didn't expect me to know it. "I've read it" I added. The bushy brown-haired girl just nodded, but I could see a gleam in her eyes. I chuckled.

I rested my chin on my hand. "Are you enjoying it?" She slightly furrowed her eyebrows.

"Why do you make so many questions?" She asked back, sounding honestly curious. The way she said it almost made it seem like I had bad intentions with her. Well, it is in fact understandable because I know she doesn't trust me. Yet.

"I guess I find you interesting, Granger" I genuinely said, shrugging my shoulders like it wasn't a big deal. A dark shade of pink invaded her cheeks and she quickly looked away. She was blushing.

"Shut up." She quietly said and lowered her head, looking at the book on her desk again. Her eyes never met mine again. As I was about to say something, Professor McGonagall entered the room. I looked around and realized that the classroom was already full of students.

McGonagall cleared her throat. "Could I have your attention, please?" She stated. The room remained quiet, every pair of eyes looking at her. She carried on, "Right. Today, we will be continuing to study Human Transfiguration, a sub-branch of Transfiguration and a form of transformation in which one transfigures human body parts or an entire human being into another form" She took small steps and made some gestures as she explained, passing her eyes over the vast amount of students occupying the room.