29

"Eat." Ethan pushed the plate of waffles in front of me and I stared at the food reluctantly, before looking back up at him.

"I'm not hungry," I said quietly, and almost winced at how hoarse my voice sounded because of last night.

I could tell Ethan was about to argue, but Caleb interrupted him before he could.

"Just try a little bit, Izzy," Caleb pressed from where he was sitting next to me, and I swallowed hard. I was about to give in, but the thought of eating sent my stomach churning again and I backed out, shaking my head.

"You realize you'll get sick if you keep this up, right?" Ethan asked firmly, and I looked up at him to see him glaring at me. "Is that what you want?"

I scowled. "No, I just said that I'm not hungry. I'll eat later."

"You say that every time," Ethan snapped and I should've known the side of him which had comforted me a few nights ago wouldn't last.

That night had felt like a dream when I woke up the next morning and everything hit me full force. Going to Maya's house, the argument between Elijah and I, Ethan promising me that I'd find a way out... it didn't seem real. So much had happened, and I couldn't wrap my mind around it all.

Ever since the day I'd confronted Elijah, we'd barely spoken to each other. I did my best to avoid him and Kaiden whenever he was over, and they both gave me space.

We only spoke when it was necessary, and a small part of me missed them both. I missed how things used to be, but I also knew that this was for the better. I couldn't just let go of everything I'd learned and all the lying. Not again.

"Izzy." I blinked when Caleb snapped his fingers in front of my face, his brows furrowed in concern. "You okay? Did you hear anything we said?"

I cleared my throat. "Uh, no, sorry. What did you say?"

Caleb studied me warily for a few seconds before he spoke. "Elijah's not gonna be home this weekend. We have to stay at Kaiden's again."

"What? No!" I immediately started to protest, straightening in my seat. "Why? Why can't we just stay home? Ethan's eighteen." I looked over to Ethan and he was silent on the other side of the table.

Caleb and him exchanged a glance and I gritted my teeth as I realized there was, once again, something going on that I didn't know about. Their faces said it all.

I wondered if Ethan could tell that I was starting to get angry because what he said surprised me. "It's not safe, that's why," he replied evenly, meeting my gaze.

I stared back at him curiously. "Why?"

I thought they would both make up some excuse or lie to me again, but to my surprise, the opposite happened.

Caleb stayed silent, but Ethan told me the truth.

Ethan glanced once at Caleb before answering me. His words came out tense as he said, "because there's someone after you, and it's safer at Kaiden's."

My eyes widened and I quickly looked at Caleb to see if Ethan's words were true. When I saw the grim look on his face, my heart sunk.