7

"What's up with you?"

I quickly looked away from Mia's concerned eyes as she leaned against the locker next to mine.

The final bell rang, and groups of students flooded through the hallways rushing to get out or go wherever they need to be. My movements were sluggish as I grabbed some of my things from my locker, my hair falling to cover the sides of my face like a shield from her eyes.

"Nothing," I murmured, closing my locker and sliding my bag higher up my shoulder, my back aching slightly from the weight. I avoided her eyes as we began walking past the crowds towards the parking lot. "I just didn't get a lot of sleep."

"Are you sure?" I could tell she didn't believe me, but Mia didn't push and I loved that about her. It was why I could go to her easily when I wanted to and trust her with anything.

Asking if I was sure was her way of telling me that she was here, and I could talk whenever I wanted.

"Yeah." I shot her a small smile as we stepped out of the school. We walked in silence to where her car was parked, at the end of the parking lot. It was cloudy today, and I knew there was a snow storm coming tonight. I hoped it would be enough for school to close tomorrow. I needed the day off despite being home yesterday.

As we reached her car, my eyes unwillingly traveled to the far side of the parking lot where I saw Sebastian, standing with a few of his friends.

They were laughing, and he had a small smile on his face but it looked forced as his eyes were focused on a spot behind them. He looked lost in thought. Suddenly, his attention somehow flashed towards me and he straightened slightly. Before I could give myself time to read whatever was written on his features, I got in the passenger seat of Mia's car.

I knew she saw and wanted to ask what that was, but she didn't. Instead, she pulled out of the parking lot and began the route to her house since we had planned on doing some studying together.

While she went on about something I didn't exactly catch, I pulled down the sun visor and took the time to study my appearance. I wasn't really surprised at what I saw.

My gray eyes were slightly red and dark circles were prominent underneath. I'd debated wearing my glasses today, but I'd opted for my usual contacts and I suddenly regretted it. My dark brown hair fell lifelessly around my face and I realized I needed a trim. It fell to my waist now and it was getting harder to manage, but then again, I liked the long look.

More than anything, I looked exhausted and worn out in every possible way.

"Izzy, you okay?" Mia's voice snapped me out of my thoughts and I watched her, puzzled. I realized we'd pulled into her driveway.

I shook my head, closing the mirror, and unbuckled my seatbelt. "Sorry, I was just thinking again."

She studied me for a few seconds before nodding, and she turned off her car. "I was asking if you wanted to go to that party with me this Friday?"

We grabbed our bags and stepped out of the car, shutting the doors. Mia locked it and we walked the short distance to her front door. "Where is it?"

"Addison's." I shut the door behind her, the familiarity of her house immediately feeling inviting. The house was silent yet comforting. I took my shoes off near the door and followed her up the stairs to her room. "There won't be too many people, I think."

She threw her bag to the side and took a seat on her bed. I plopped down on her desk chair, spinning myself with my feet. "Sure. It could be fun. I just have to ask Elijah first," I groaned, already knowing how this was going to go.