Blood and Betrayal

"So Anthony is denying any accusations that have been aimed at him?" Marian asked as a guard led them into the tower dungeons "He is" Richard replied "is begging to be set free, so that we might work together" "That won't be possible now, will it?...

"He is" Richard replied "is begging to be set free, so that we might work together"
"That won't be possible now, will it?"
"No...no it won't" Richard paused and then signalled for the guard to carry on without them, saying that they would catch up in a moment.

"What is it Richard? Why have we stopped?"
Marian tilted her head as she looked up at her husband and suddenly found her lips being claimed by his. When he finally drew back a little, he took her hands.

"I-I do have your support, don't I, Marian? You are with me?" He sounded anxious, like a child seeking approval, and Marian instantly sought to reassure him.
"Of course I am, Richard. Always. I will be right by your side through whatever is to come. Through whatever life has in store for the two of us. I will be with you"
"You have no idea how much those words mean to me" Richard whispered, cupping her face with his hands.

"You sound as if you doubted that I would"
"Never, Mari, never"
"I may be loyal to others...have been loyal to others...but, Richard, from the day that I married you, my first loyalty has always been and always will be to you and to our family" she took one of Richard's hands and brushed her lips across his knuckles "always"
"I love you, Mari"
"And I you, Richard"

"Are you coming, my lord?" The voice of the guard forced the couple to stand back from one another and the Duke nodded.
"Yes, we will be with you in a moment" the guard nodded and went ahead again. Richard turned to Marian, offered her his hand.
"Together?"
"Together" she replied placing her hand in his open one and together, they went deeper into the tower dungeons.

"Richard? Richard it that you?" Anthony Rivers' voice called out into the semi darkness of his cell.
"Anthony" Richard greeted "yes it's me. Marian is here too."
"Then you received my letter? Explaining everything, that I played no part in any betrayal?"
"I cannot trust you Anthony..."
Anthony moved to the bars
"You have no proof of any betrayal...I am not your enemy!"

A moment later the cries of another man could be heard approaching and Marian turned to see Richard Grey, held by two armed men and being dragged, beaten and bloodied, down the corridor.

"Marian! Marian don't let Richard do this" Grey entreated pitifully, his face streaked with freshly shed tears "Richard you can't do this! Marian, please I've done nothing wrong! You have to believe me!" But no one heeded his cries and he was dragged away until his voice was simply a faint echo; could belong to a ghost.

"Richard, please!" Anthony begged staring after his sorrowful nephew "think about what you are doing!"
Richard's face darkened a little and he took a step back from the cell