The Darkness of Shadows

September 1473

September 1473...

As Marian rode towards Middleham on a white mare beside her husband, she could feel her strength returning to her bones the closer they came to the castle.

They had been travelling for three days now and that morning, Marian had felt strong enough to ride the rest of the way, leaving Edmund with Meg, who was sat in the carriage and had long since been consoled when she had been appointed the new Plantagenet's nurse, a duty she was extremely well pleased with. Marian felt a little uneasy being away from her son but when she glanced at the carriage behind her she knew she had naught to fear, Edmund was in safe hands.

As the procession drew nearer to Middleham, Marian could see the blue and murray banners, each bearing the emblem of the white boar, fluttering in the wind and she smiled. Looking over to Richard, she could see that he was smiling too and then the sound of trumpets drew her attention to the village they were now entering.

Suddenly people were flooding the streets, clutching white roses in their hands and cheering wildly, large smiles on each of their faces. A little girl darted forward from the crowd and raised a white rose up to Marian, who took it and smiled in gratitude, earning her a cry of approval from the onlookers. As the shouting grew louder and louder, Marian could just make out what they were chanting.

"Edmund!" They shouted "Edmund! The Duke and Duchess! God bless you!"
Marian beamed, as did her husband, and waved to the crowds who roared in appreciation and clapped, cheered, shouted.
"To the house of York!" They cried "to Marian and Richard Plantagenet! To Edmund! Welcome home!"

'Home' Marian thought as she had done when she first arrived, glancing up at the gatehouse as they crossed the drawbridge and into the courtyard of Middleham castle, leaving the crowds behind.

"Well, that was quite a display, was it not, sweetheart?" Richard remarked, chuckling to himself as he helped Marian down from her horse.

"I think it was very sweet of them to do it!" She replied heading over to the carriage where Meg had climbed out and was rocking Edmund gently.
"He is a fine weight, Marian!" She said as she passed the baby over to his mother
"Indeed he is!" Marian agreed "thank you so much for taking care of him! I know he cannot be in safer care!"
Meg practically glowed with pride.
"Did you know he did not cry once while we moved through the village!"
"Really?" Richard asked as they walked up the front steps and into the great hall
"Really" Meg repeated "I have a feeling he shall make a fine man"

Richard stood up straighter, and smiled a proudly, gazing down at his son and wife. As they entered the great hall he abruptly stopped and turned to face Marian who also halted and looked up into his face.

"Is something wrong Richard?" She asked
"No, nothing, love. I have just remembered I have business to attend to"
"Now?" Marian cried "but we have only just returned. Why must you go?"
"You shall see why" he answered with a small smile "but now, I must fly" he leaned in to kiss her but she placed a hand on his chest, pushing him back slightly
"You will be back before nightfall, Richard?"
He took her hand and kissed it before kissing her lips gently.
"You have my word"
At this she smiled and nodded, wishing him luck before going in search of Anne.