A storm is brewing

Marian's eyes fluttered open to see the canopy above her bed

Marian's eyes fluttered open to see the canopy above her bed. She tried to sit up but a pair of small hands gently pushed her back onto the pillows.

"You need to rest, Marian" it was Anne "you were in quite a state when I found you yesterday. You passed out quite a few times...what on earth happened?"

Marian's head pounded as the memories from the previous day came flooding back to her
"It is of little matter, Anne. You needn't worry yourself"
"Are you sure? You were very upset, you hardly responded when Isabel and I carried you to your bed"
"What did you do?" Marian asked, surprised at what she was hearing
"Well, you completely tired yourself out with crying that you feel sound asleep so Isabel and I put you to bed. Don't worry about my mother, I told her that you had taken ill and she didn't ask any further questions"
"Thank you, Anne. How long have you been by my side."
"Since dawn. So has Issy." Marian watched as the girls head turned and nodded towards the fireplace.

She slowly lifted herself up onto her elbows to see Isabel sitting by the fire, cradling her belly.
"You two should go to bed! You don't need to stay here with me!"
"Well, you are our friend, you are staying in our home so we are going to take care of you! Now lie back, Marian or you will tire yourself out."
"Really, I'm not ill, Anne. Let me get out of bed please."

The young girl thought for a while
"Oh let her come and sit by the fire Annie" Isabel said, smiling at Marian, though her smile seemed a little off, distant, not as bright as usual.
Fetching a shawl for her friend, Anne helped her Marian rise from the bed and led her over to sit opposite the older girl who had Percy sat at her feet.
"So..." Marian began "what exactly happened yesterday? My mind seems a little foggy at present"

"Well" Anne said, sitting up in her seat which was next to Isabel's "Me and Issy were wondering where you were as dinner was about to start so I headed up here to find you. I knocked on your door but you have no reply, all I could hear was sobbing so I pushed the door open to find you curled up on the floor, clutching Percy to your chest, crying. Of course I immediately fetched Issy, telling mother that you had taken ill and we were going to help you. When we tried to speak to you, your crying ceased a little bit but you simply stared into the distance as if we weren't there and your eyelids began to droop. You quickly fell asleep and me and Issy carried you to the bed and stayed by your side for a while before returning to our rooms and then coming back again to yours at dawn! Your servant, Meg I think her name was, also helped us. She is sleeping now in the room next door. She was very worried about you"

"Thank you for taking such good care of me" Marian said, mustering a small smile
"What on earth was wrong? You were quite beside yourself! Was it George?" Isabel asked.

Marian felt her body tense slightly at the Dukes name and the doubts he had put into her mind filled her once again. "What did he do, Marian?"
"It-it doesn't matter, Isabel. I thank you for your concern but I assure you that I am fine..."
"You don't need to worry about him anymore if it was him that upset you" Anne said "He and Father both left to fight with the King last night..." the sisters exchanged worried looks.
"What? What is it? Is the King in danger?" Marian asked, worry creeping up inside of her.