To escape a Duke

Entering the Queens rooms, Marian heard the women present gasp, Elizabeth, Meg and Jaquetta

"Marian!" Meg shouted, leaping from her seat, quickly followed by the other two who enveloped Marian into a tight embrace.

"But shouldn't you be..." Elizabeth started
"Resting?" Marian finished "I found that I could not...I have duties to attend to and am in need to a distraction" the Queen nodded in understanding as did her mother who gestured for Marian to take a seat next to her as she walked back to the fireplace.

"You're planning something, aren't you?" She said as little Cecily clambered onto Marian's lap, playing with one of her mother's necklaces. Marian's heart hurt to see the small girl before her.
"Yes, yes I am..." she replied. Jaquetta sighed
"I can tell it is something you feel like you must do"

"That it is" Marian replied "please do not attempt to persuade me otherwise"
"I have no intention of doing so" Lady rivers returned "I have had many seeings of you, Marian and believe that what you intend to carry out shall lead you to great happiness"

The Countess smiled doubtfully, her hand moving to her neck ,where the emerald necklace she had taken to wearing was, twirling the jewels between her fingers as she thought on Jaquetta Woodville's words. Great happiness? That seemed the last thing that was coming Marian's way at that point in time.

"And how are you?" She asked, looking at the woman across from her. Upon closer inspection, she could see that Lady Rivers really was ill despite her earlier denial. Her skin was pale, the usual sparkle in her eyes was duller, her smile was weaker and every so often she would let out a small cough and turn away from the others in the room for a moment until she had composed herself.

"Well enough to be here" Jaquetta replied "and hopefully I shall be for a little longer"
"A lot longer!" Elizabeth contradicted as she joined the little group, holding the now one year old Edward. Her mother simply smiled sadly at her daughter and grandson. Marians heart stung again.

"Meg!" Marian called, lifting Cecily up as she stood, leaving the other two women to talk
"Yes?" Meg replied, putting her hand on her friend's arm "are you sure you are well, that you are fine?"
"Of course I'm not...but I cannot focus on my own sadness now...I'd prefer not to, at least" Marian replied, looking at the ground as Cecily gently grabbed locks of her hair and attempted to braid them.

"Why are you sad, Marian" the Princess asked, looking up at the woman holding her
"Things, my dear" she replied
"What things?" Cecily persisted. Her blue eyes growing wide with innocent curiosity
"I shall explain to you when you are older" Marian told her, setting her gently on her feet "now, go and play with your sisters" the Princess skipped away happily, humming a tune to herself.