To Negotiate with a King

A guard led them to a small room at the top of the inn (although he was immediately ordered by the young King to leave them in peace while he and Marian talked)

A guard led them to a small room at the top of the inn (although he was immediately ordered by the young King to leave them in peace while he and Marian talked). Once they were alone, Marian thought it would be best to speak.

"Your Grace" she started "I don't know if you remember me, but..."
"I remember you, Aunt Marian" Edward cut her off, smiled at her, which took her a little by surprise "I remember you as a most beautiful and gracious lady of whom my mother is very fond. Your eldest son was born on the same day as my little brother was he not?" He continued, sitting down by the window which overlooked the inn courtyard where his men were waiting.

"Yes, yes he was, your grace"
"Please, Aunt, call me Edward"
"As you wish. Edward"
The boy nodded looked out if the window again then back to Marian
"If that is so then once I am crowned I wish for him to be a part of my household"
"My family and I would be honoured, your...Edward"
The boy gave a clipped nod
"Now, be so kind as to tell me what your husband means by intending to take me to the Tower?"

The Duchess sat opposite him
"It is for your protection, Edward. There are many nobles at court, many families who would like to hold you in their power and while I do not doubt that a boy such as you has a strong and capable mind there are still those who would seek to control you and...and if you prove to them you are not to be controlled while you are in their evil grasp...well..." The King nodded his head in understanding.

"Then I would end up like my father did in 1470? Apart from this time...I would not survive and the crown would pass to my brother, Richard"
Marian slowly put a hand on the boys arm, was pleased when he didn't pull away
"That is what your uncle and I are here to prevent" she smiled "he is the Lord protector after all is he not?"
Edward nodded again
"I suppose that he is...but I must admit, I do not trust your husband"

The Duchess almost gasped, managed to stop herself just in time as she realised she understood exactly what the boy was talking about. As she had told Richard the night before they set off to find the young boy, he was a stranger to his nephew, had only ever seen him as a babe so Edward had every right to have a few suspicions. There were no foundations for trust between the two and Marian figured out that there would not be for quite a while. This, in itself, was a danger.

However, there were foundations of sorts for a form of trust to grow between the Duchess and the King. Perhaps it was already there? Why else would he have agreed to talk with her alone after her and her husband had demanded he come with them out of the blue with men at arms to the Tower of London of all places? Yes...perhaps this could be the answer...

"I understand why you do not trust your uncle" Marian said slowly, saw Edward look up in surprise at her reply, it had been something he hadn't expected.
"You do?" He questioned, the Kingly, calculated facade he had so well crafted, giving way to a youthful curiosity.

"Yes" she said "I do, I can see that you do not have cause to trust him and so...I do ask you to put your trust in me"
"In you?" He repeated then bowing his head, his brow furrowing as he thought about the option that had just been laid out before him. At long last he looked up again "my mother did always trust you...as did my father whenever I got the chance to see him...uncle Anthony always did as well, he spoke highly of you"