Middleham

For three days and three nights the party travelled along the winding roads of England, stopping at little inns and Priories to break their journey when it was dark

For three days and three nights the party travelled along the winding roads of England, stopping at little inns and Priories to break their journey when it was dark. Marian enjoyed travelling, it gave her a feeling of excitement, one that she evidently shared with her husband for with each mile closer to Middleham they drew, the more animated he became, laughing and chatting freely where he was usually quieter and more reserved.

On the fourth day, the group were travelling through the moors of Wensleydale, the women in the carriage and Richard trotting on his stallion beside them. The women had at last found the oranges that Richard had packed and were passing the time by peeling them and throwing the small segments at each other, trying to catch the fruit in their mouths. Every so often this goal was achieved and a happy shout would rise from the carriage causing Richard to chuckle and gaze adoringly at his wife for a moment before turning back to the road, still grinning.

"Has your mother written to you lately?" Marian asked, looking over at Anne once their antics had died down a little and the three women sat back in their seats, sometimes closing their eyes for a brief moment, the Duchess stroking her wolfhounds ears.

"Of course" Anne replied with a small smile "but I have long since giving on reading them" her two companions nodded in understanding. Both of them had read quite a few of the old Countess Warwick's letters and each of them reading more desperate than the last. "I'm excited to be going back to Middleham" Anne continued, diverting the topic, "I have fond memories from my time there!"

"Well then you must share!" Meg remarked, with a grin "I expect we shall be there soon and it would be nice to know something of what has taken place in the past there"
"Aye!" Marian said in agreement "tell us a story Anne!" The younger girl beamed and paused for a moment, thinking before she spoke but as the words were about to come out of her mouth the carriage slowed as Richard called for the procession to halt.

Marian, Meg and Anne all immediately went to look out the windows of the carriage. What on earth was going on?

"Is all well, Richard?" Marian asked, anxiously. Her husband looked down from his horse and smiled at her. A smile of pure joy; he laughed lightly.
"Yes, yes all is well. I should like to show you something is all"
A soldier opened the carriage door and offered his hand to Marian, which she took after looking at the three beside her, both wore rather bemused looks, even Percy somehow.

Once she was outside, Richard jumped down from his horse and hoisted her up onto it, climbing back on behind her and grinning at her bewildered expression.
"What are you up to, my lord?" She whispered, half amused, half confused. Not answering, he addressed the waiting party,

"Carry on to Middleham" he ordered "the duchess and I shall return before sundown" the soldiers nodded and called for the procession to carry onwards. As the carriage pulled forward again, Marian could see her two friends grinning at her from the window, Meg winked and Marian laughed back, waving slightly.