So Close, So Far Apart

The Yorkist army and their King and Queen left Ludlow for London the next day, no one who had known the traitor being able to stay in the place that he had died despite his acts

Marina and Richard hadn't spoken to one another since the execution, had hardly looked one another in the eye and neither knew why they could not bring themselves to be admitted into the other's gaze even though when night had fallen and all trace of light had dissolved the two slept as close to one another as ever before, seeking comfort in intimacy.

The next morning they rose and resumed the strange state that had somehow appeared over them, being polite to one another but nothing more than that. As they mounted their horses they were silent and unsmiling (as the rest of their friend's were) and began the long trek to the capital, the arrival at which they both dreaded and welcomed.

Three weeks after their departure from Ludlow they arrived in London to hoards upon hoards of Londoners (and many Northerners who had travelled to the South to congratulate their monarchs on their victory).

Marian and Richard could do nothing but smile and wave to the crowds as they rode to the streets, their spirits slightly raised as a shower of white roses rained gloriously down upon them and the colours of York were seen to be flown from every window.

As the royal procession entered the courtyard of Westminster palace (the court only just moved back there two days prior) a huge cheer went up and the nobles saluted to the King and Queen, shouting words of congratulations.

"Mama! Mama!" The ecstatic cries of the royal children made Marian and Richard immediately whip their heads round and the most joyous of smiles appeared on their faces as they saw their young daughters racing down the steps to greet them (followed by their brothers who descended down the steps at a slower pace but still with the unmistakable air of excitement around them).

"Ah, mes chèries!" Marian called as she dismounted in a swirl of crimson gown and cape and rushing, at a seemly pace, to her daughters; catching them all in her arms. As she drew back she lifted Mary from the ground, marvelling at the way she had managed to keep up with her sisters "my my, little one!" She cooed quietly as Richard dismounted to meet the boys "haven't you advanced in leaps and bounds since I last saw you!"

"We have been teaching her mama!" Cecily commented excitedly, her brown waves bouncing around her face.
"Yes!" Meg joined in "she's a very good learner!"
"Here mama" the now 9 year old Lisbet said, holding up her arms so that she could take her youngest sister "let me take Mary" she then lowered her voice a little and grinned "your court awaits!"

Marian smiled affectionately at her daughter and immediately transferred Mary into her waiting arms, turning to her husband to see her sons waiting by his side. The Queen walked over and the three boys bowed gracefully, making their mother chuckle.

"You know you do not have to bow to me, my dears" she said and they all smiled up at her.
"Welcome home mama" Dickon greeted shyly, moving forward and embracing her before letting her go free to take Richard's waiting hand.