♡ Chapter 34

Chapter 34 (Edited)

Five days after

I walked onto the familiar path leading to the royal palace. I was sure that Thomas' and my disappearance wouldn't go unnoticed, and we had agreed to go back at a different time, so we didn't create rumors. Thomas was back at the palace since yesterday, while I stayed for a night at Madeline's house, so I could catch up with her.

Now, I would finally be back at the palace, after an exhausting trip.

Thomas had taken the secret with him, and we had concluded that the best hiding spot would be in his chambers, since no one would ever think of searching through it.

After taking the secret from the black rock, we had traveled back to the house Robert had mentioned, and thankfully, we hadn't been attacked by bandits again. Then, we had spent four days traveling through villages and towns, to the royal palace.

Thomas and I hadn't kissed again though, nor did we talk about it. I thought it would be best to keep it as a good memory, since I didn't think it would happen again. Now that we were back at the palace, I was certain that it would become impossible as I knew there were eyes everywhere, and I didn't want suspicions to rise.

The gate came in sight after a while, as well as the watchful guards. I greeted them with my usual grin, but very surprisingly, they didn't seem very ecstatic to see me. Shrugging their brooding off, I made my way to the stable, where a squire came to unsaddle and clean Belle. Taking my luggage, I walked to my room, and found Lola cleaning the window.

Surprised and a little frightened, she spun around, "Oh welcome back, my lady!"

"Hello Lola!", I greeted her back, putting my bag on the small table, "So tell me, what happened while I was away?"

I sat on my bed and patted the sheet beside me. "Well, a lot happened. You were gone for a little more than two weeks," she began, while sitting down next to me, "The Court was curious about the Crown prince's sudden departure, and it was said that he had a little trouble at the border to take care of. About your departure, we were informed that you were visiting a pregnant friend of yours, whose child you're going to be the godmother." It was effectively what I had quickly discussed with the queen before we went away.

"Then, there were three balls," Lola continued, "and a lot of guests arrived, like the Princess Catherine of Morength, the Princess Héloise of Oakland, the Duchess Annastasie of Greenwood and her daughters, ...", I tuned out the rest of the names, until I heard, "the Grand Duke Richard of Rutherford and his daughters, the Duchess Amelia of Rutherford and her children, and the Count of Bothwell and his daughter." Lola sounded slightly out of breath after listing all the names. "They're currently residing in our numerous guest suites," she finished.

I felt myself shivering. It was now that the danger would be threatening the most. The attention of everyone, including the Rutherfords, would be on the new arriving people, and for a lot of cases, they didn't know me. That would bring an unwanted focus onto me for a while.

"How were the balls?", I questioned.

"The guests, especially the younger ladies, seemed quite disappointed of the absence of the Crown prince, and were slowly growing frustrated at the last ball. But apart from that, everyone seemed to have enjoyed themselves," she explained.

"Alright. Thanks, Lola, for telling me," I nodded thoughtfully.

"You're welcome, my lady. Would you like to get ready for lunch?"

"Yes, please," I replied, getting up from the bed.

~~~~~~~~

"So, how was your friend?", Elisa asked.