♡ Chapter 20

Elisa's ballgown ^^

Chapter 20 (Edited)

Everyone rushed in front of the lady, forming a line of colored ballgowns and sparkling jewels. Elisa grabbed my hand and tugged me to the very end of the line. "I have to be the last one to come in. My family will come just after me, but from the left lounge. You will go just before me," she said.

I nodded. "Alright," I said.

The large wooden door, in front of which we made a line, opened, but I didn't see anything since I was in the end. I heard the loud voice of a herald announcing the first young lady, and then polite applause from the people who, I assumed, were downstairs. I saw her disappear down the stairs, walking graciously and with a certain amount of power radiating off of her, like she owned the place.

One after another, each young lady walked down the large stairs leading to the ballroom. Some of them were princesses, others weren't, but all had at least a fancy name. They more or less glided as graciously as possible, their shoulders pushed backwards, their back straight, their gloved hand lightly touching the handrail, and with a bright, seemingly innocent smile on their faces.

When it was finally my turn, I handed my card to the herald, who announced loudly, "Lady Anna, the Court's musician!" Polite applause followed soon after.

My chest tightened with nerves and I took a deep breath. I stepped forward, trying to look as confident as possible, gliding graciously and my head held high like I had been taught to. I walked down the stairs smiling brightly, and soon saw the ball room.

It was beautifully decorated, with flowers and banners in addition of the usual golden ornaments and big crystal chandeliers. A band was located in the left corner of the room and tables with drinks, and small dishes were set to the left and right of the dancefloor. At the end of the room were five thrones, with two in the middle bigger than the others. A crowd of noble ladies and gentlemen of all age, and the other young ladies from earlier, were watching me walk down the stairs, clapping politely, some of them with look of curiosity, others with boredom on their faces.

As I finally stepped onto the ball room, I walked to stand right next to the stairs, to the left, waiting for Elisa. Soon enough, the herald announced her, "Her Highness, Princess Elizabeth of Tannerson!" The people clapped, and watched eagerly as the princess came out for her first ball.

She walked down the stairs, her head held high and smiling brightly like me, and subtly searching the room with her eyes. She had an amount of authority in her steps I never thought she would have, considering she was so easy-going with me. Her gaze finally landed on me and her smile then reached her eyes.

She walked past me, shooting me an excited look and went to sit on the last throne to the right. Soon after, the herald announced, "His Highness, Prince Gabriel of Tannerson!"

Gaby emerged from the right of the stairs and walked down with a proud and elegant appearance, like Elisa. It was unnerving, seeing the royal children act like they really were from the royal family, even if they in fact were. They acted so natural with me. It was as if we were really in the same position. Gaby reached the end of the stairs, sent me a subtle smile when he saw me and went to sit to the last throne to the left.

Then the herald announced, "His Highness, King Sebastien of Tannerson, and her Highness, Queen Rosalie of Tannerson!"

The king, dressed in his dark green royal attire, appeared with the queen on his arm, looking even more resplendent than ever in her forest green ballgown and covered with the finest jewels. They walked with power and importance, like it was expected from royalty. The king glanced around the room, his expression guarded, and the queen smiled, seeing two of her children already sitting on their throne. Everyone bowed or curtsied deeply as they marched towards the bigger thrones and sat down, the queen beside Elisa and the king next to her, leaving the throne in between him and the prince Gabriel empty.