♡ Chapter 54

Chapter 54

3rd person P.O.V (Fabian)

Fabian's head was spinning as he leaned against the closed door of his room. What had he done again? Ah yes, he had copied another letter from the former king of the kingdom of Ravenport for Lord Rutherford. Why? Just why couldn't he be left alone? He exhaled sharply in frustration. It had been necessary once again. Those damn threats. He knew they weren't empty, so even if it was against his common sense, he had executed Lord Rutherford's request.

The king Ludwig would be arriving in two days, that was what his letter to king Sebastien had said. Fabian had naturally not wanted to disclose that information, so he had falsified the copy for Lord Rutherford, and announced Ludwig's official arrival for the next day instead. Which was now today.

The letter had also set a private meeting with the king in the secret part of the garden at midnight. So, Fabian knew that Lord Rutherford would be there tonight, a day earlier. What could possibly go wrong?

His hand enclosed the handle of his room's door. Should he be there in case something happened? When Lord Rutherford would find out that nobody was there and that he had written a false copy, he would be furious. And a furious Lord Rutherford was a deadly one. So, Fabian certainly didn't intend to wait for him to come to his room and deliver more threats, or worse. He wanted him to at least cool down until the morning where he would have a chance if Lord Rutherford confronted him. And that meant, he had to get out of there for the night.

He twisted the handle and stepped out into the hallway, his steps hesitant as they slowly made their way towards... why not hide in the music room?, Fabian thought. No one would suspect him to be there.

He kept his footsteps as silent as possible as he walked down a staircase, regularly glancing around for any possible presence. Suddenly, he saw a shadow behind him, accompanied by rapid and soft footsteps. Oh shit, he thought, and quickly jumped behind a nearby curtain.

He peeked from behind it, his heart thumping loudly in his chest. A female figure was hurrying down the stairs, and as she came closer, he distinguished her features. Lady Anna? What was she doing here? The next second, she was gone. He pondered on it for a good minute, long after she disappeared. Nothing was making sense anymore.

But just as he peeked into the staircase again to be able to come out, he noticed another figure, that strangely resembled to the one of Lord Rutherford. His breath caught in his throat. He flattened against the wall and waited anxiously for him to pass. But between the slit of the curtains, he managed to get a glimpse at what Lord Rutherford held in his hand. Something sharp that reflected in the moonlight. A dagger.

Oh, shit. Lord Rutherford wanted to murder someone. And Fabian had no problem at guessing who it could be. His heart was beating frantically. Lady Anna was also there! She would be in danger.

He had to do something. He had to. Even if it meant revealing his involvement to the situation. Fabian clenched his fists, trying to control his rapid breathing. He would tell Thomas. He was his safest option.

When he was sure that the staircase was completely empty, he didn't wait a second more before sprinting to his best friend's room.

~~~~~~~~

Anna's P.O.V.

I felt my heart jumping in excitement as I speed-walked across the hallway leading to the backdoor. Would he be there? Is this real?

I opened the door and stepped into the night, not even feeling the chilly midnight air. My father would be here... I would see him again, after six years...