♡ Chapter 21

Chapter 21 (Edited)

As soon as I reached the tables, I released a relieved breath. Dancing was amusing, but it was also tiring. I took a fruit punch from one of the tables and started analyzing the dance floor. I saw Elisa dancing with someone I didn't know, Gaby and Fabian had also escaped the dancefloor. Thomas was asking another beautifully dressed girl for a dance, but I didn't miss the look of boredom on his face.

He bowed and kissed her hand, and she looked up at him with a bright, adorating eyes. She nodded eagerly, giving him her agreement and he led her to the dancefloor to take their position. Her back was turned to me and Thomas was facing me, so I could see his face.

Looking at his face, I knew he was bored. To someone else, he looked like he was enjoying himself, but I had spent enough time with him to be able to read his face. As if he felt my eyes on him, he looked up and his face brightened up when he sent me a smile, which I returned.

The girl in front of him blushed deeply when she thought he smiled at her. She began giggling and smiling brightly. I pointed at her discreetly and he glanced back at her with a look of surprise. He looked a bit embarrassed and gave her a strained smile.

I chuckled at him and he scowled at me when the girl wasn't looking, which made me laugh even more. He then shook his head at me with a small grin, as the dance began.

I looked into the chatting crowd of people, all of them nobles in their best attire. There were two young men talking quietly not far from me. They both had the exact same appearance, tall, with dark hair, green eyes and a lightly crooked nose. They were obviously twins and both quite attractive. But it wasn't what made me pause at them.

They were having a very serious conversation, one that certainly shouldn't be held at a ball. I looked more closely and saw a glint of trouble in their eyes. I hesitated for a moment and then let the curiosity get the best of me. If they didn't want someone to eavesdrop, they should have discussed somewhere else.

They were standing near dishes of small appetizers and I casually walked towards it. They quickly glanced at me but soon returned to their conversation, even more hushed, but I still could make it out.

"Are you sure she is here?"

"Of course, I sent my most trusted spy at the palace."

He paused and sighed. "You're really sure about this?"

"Yes, that's our first chance to meet our cousin, even if she doesn't know it."

"...Fine. What does she look like?"

"It's her, look," he said, probably pointing at someone, but I didn't want to be noticed so I didn't turn around.

"Alright. What is her name again?"

"Michelle."

I froze for a moment. Michelle?... As in my friend Michelle?... And he said they were cousins! I paused as the realization hit me. They were the Rutherfords.

I had never met them personally. When I was a child, they were like a myth to me, or imaginary villains, too bad to be true. But seeing them in reality gave me in shock. So, those are the people who are after my father and the throne, and who have captured my sister. I shook my head and regained my composure. I couldn't allow myself to blow my cover now. And I wanted to know what they were planning to do to Michelle.

I left the two men behind and looked for Michelle. I spotted her talking to an elderly man, and she seemed to be enjoying herself. But there are more important matters now. I casually walked over to her, stopping at just enough distance to be allowed to make a polite intrusion into their conversation.