♡ Chapter 35

Anna's ballgown ^^

Chapter 35 (Edited)

I put the white-beaded earrings onto my ears while Lola finished my hair, that I had decided would flow on my back in waves. I was dressed in a white ballgown with golden embroideries, and my make-up was a little more sophisticated than usual. I clipped on a pearl necklace, as well as pearl bracelets. I stood up in front of the mirror and slipped my silked white gloves on. "Thank you, Lola, it's perfect," I said smiling at her.

She blushed a very light shade of pink. "You're welcome, my lady. You are naturally beautiful, but now you look utterly breath-taking."

I smiled at her through the mirror and turned towards the door. "It's time to go."

"Have fun, my lady," Lola said and leaned in with a smile of conspiration, "No doubt you'll catch the eye of several gentlemen."

My heart began to thump in my chest and I looked down shyly. "Thanks Lola," I replied, wringing my hands, "I sure hope so." But what I really hope, is to catch the eye of one gentleman in particular, my subconscious said to me. No, you don't, I answered my subconscious, focus on what is necessary.

I had already, somewhat reluctantly, made my decision about Thomas. I knew I loved him, even if I didn't admit it to myself. I would simply act accordingly to what he decided. If he was interested in me romantically, I would obviously accept him, but if he chose someone else, I wouldn't bother him any further.

It was his choice, his future queen after all, and I wouldn't interfere if he didn't want me. I would just love him from afar until he decided to make a clear move. Until then, I decided that we wouldn't have any romantic interaction. I would even stop him if he did. Not only was it improper, even though I would normally not care, but I didn't want to be a distraction to him, especially since I knew it wasn't likely that he would choose me. From the Court's point of view, I was just the Court's musician. How could I compare to a princess? Even if I was one myself, I would keep it hidden until my father came to the palace.

So, with newfound resolution, I kept my back straight, my head held high, my hands gathered in front of me, and marched towards the ballroom with light steps. I went to the right lounge, and immediately caught the eyes of Michelle, talking to another young lady.

She was dressed in a stunning grey ball gown, like she had told me the day before, and with her hair braided behind her back. She excused herself and walked over to me.

"Wow Anna, your gown is absolutely beautiful!", she smiled at me.

"Thank you, but not as beautiful as yours," I replied with a chuckle. She laughed, thanking me, and we were soon joined by Elisa, in her delicate lilac ballgown and sparkling amethyst necklace and earrings.

"Don't tell my brothers," she began quietly with a smirk, "but I'm going to dance with some handsome strangers tonight."

Michelle and I grinned, more amused than concerned. "You have already met a lot of people. And they know you anyway," Michelle remarked, raising her eyebrows.

She rolled her eyes and clicked her tongue. "That's not the point."

"Just behave like a well-mannered lady," I added a bit mockingly, making them giggle.

We soon got in line with the other young ladies, and got announced into the ballroom. Like the last time, Elisa was announced at the end, with Michelle and I just before her. Then, Gaby, the king and the queen, and finally Thomas arrived and walked down the stairs. The five members of the royal family sat on their respective throne, and the king made his speech.