♡ Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Thomas and I spun around to face the intruder. His figure seemed indeed like the one I saw pass by me in the garden. He was rather old, with grey, slightly balding hair, hazel eyes, and wrinkles on his forehead and in the corner of his eyes. His eyes held a glint of slyness and mischievousness, as well as the smirk he wore on his face.

"And here I thought the Crown prince was clean of scandals," he snickered, "But he's been having a secret affair with the Court's musician all along, when he should focus on his courtship. How revolting. How outrageous. I'm sure your dad-"

Thomas cut him off, "I'm afraid you're mistaken, Lord...", he raised a questioning eyebrow.

"Richard of Rutherford."

Oh damn. The last member of the Rutherfords that I had to meet. And I deducted that he was the one that threatened Fabian, since he had the same voice. That's not good at all, I thought.

"Right. Lord Rutherford," Thomas continued undisturbed, "There is no affair between me and Lady Anna, I can assure you. By the way, I have been talking to your daughters earlier. Very... charming, I must say."

"You think so? I don't know how they managed to charm you though. You seem quite taken with Lady Anna here."

"Yet I'm telling you there's nothing between us. Would you really think I would risk my reputation by having an affair right now when I'm marrying my queen in less than six months?"

"I'd say you would rather enjoy your bachelor's life while you still can."

"That's not something I want to focus on, Lord Rutherford. Now can you tell me, how are my non-existent affairs any your business?"

"If you were to consider marrying one of my daughters, of course."

"Well, you can rest assured, Lord Rutherford, it's much too early for me to consider anyone," Thomas told him and added in a cold tone, "Now, I'll ask again. Would you mind staying out of my business?"

The old man chuckled, having nothing left to say. "You passed the test, boy. That's quite some wits you have here."

Thomas glared at him. "Do not call me 'boy', old man. And I certainly don't want to pass any test of yours."

"Too bad you did it without knowing it. Now I can really consider you as a potential future son-in-law."

"You should refrain yourself from making such remarks, Lord Rutherford. You are kind of ruining your daughters' chances at marriage with me right now."

"Ah, we shall see, then," Lord Rutherford smirked.

In that moment, the door opened again, making Louis appear with a distressed expression. It melted as soon as he saw me standing in front of him. "Ah there you are, Anna. I have been looking for you, but couldn't find you," he sighed in relief, and analyzed the current situation, "What's going on, uncle?"

"So, you know her as well?", he asked, ignoring his nephew's question. Then he turned to look at me, "My, you are quite popular between young bachelors of high status, young lady."

"Uhm, I didn't know," I replied, not quite knowing what to tell him.

"Ah, so she speaks. Well, I must say it's no wonder. If I were younger, I'd befriend you as well," he said, glancing my figure. My cheeks flushed in embarrassment. The two young men shot him cold look.

"Uncle," Louis demanded his attention tensely, "Will you tell me what's going on?"

"Why, yes, of course my beloved little nephew," he said with a smile, making Louis clench his fists in anger, "I found the two of them in a compromising situation here alone."