♡ Chapter 8

Anna's dress ^^

*Edited*

Chapter 8

I woke up at dawn and prepared myself to move out of the house, like I had done a lot of times before.

I had packed my stuff in a small suitcase the night before. It was basically my two maid outfits, toiletries, an everyday dress, a few items from different places I worked at, and last but not least, my mother's necklace. I had once bought a more delicate dress, that I thought could be useful. Since I was now going to the palace, and not as a maid, I decided to put it on. I braided my hair and put it into a neat bun, then grabbed my suitcase and went to the kitchen.

Lisbeth was already here, waiting for me, and had prepared me breakfast. "Good morning Anna," she greeted me and widened her eyes. "That's a fine dress you have. You're right. It'll be necessary at the palace. Here, eat." She gave me a plate of pancakes from yesterday, as I sat down at the table.

"Thank you, ma'am. You really shouldn't have," I said smiling at her and then shoved a quarter of a pancake into my mouth.

"Yes, I do. I wouldn't want you to get hungry at the palace! Imagine what an impression you would leave if you arrived looking starved," she said, raising her eyebrows.

I chuckled. "Well, thank you again. I really appreciated working here."

Lisbeth returned to making breakfast for the lady and said sighing, "You're welcome. Now I have to look for someone else to help me..." I knew this was her way of saying that she will miss me.

"I know, you're going to have trouble finding someone as fantastic as me," I said, grinning at her.

"Hmpf," she said and turned to look at me with narrowed eyes.

~~~~~~~~

After I bid farewell to Lisbeth, I walked to the gates of the palace, seeing the same guards as usual.

"Good morning guards!", I greeted them, and they looked at me but didn't reply. "I'm moving in today!", I informed them.

They looked at each other, sighed and one of them said, "You can come in."

"Thank you!", I chirped, grinning at them.

I walked to the front door, and greeted the two guards. They recognized me and let me in. As I arrived into the lobby, a maid was waiting for me. She curtsied at me and said, "Good morning my lady, my name is Lola and the queen assigned me to be your maid."

"Good morning Lola," I smiled at her, "You can just call me Anna. Will you show me my room?"

"Of course. Let me just take your suitcase."

We climbed a small staircase to the side that I hadn't seen before and walked through well-decorated corridors and chambers. I tried to memorize the way, but it seemed quite complicated. I'll definitely explore the palace, I thought.

"You also have access to your room through the main staircase," Lola explained, "But this way is shorter."

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind," I said to her.

We walked some more and Lola announced. "Here we are!" She grabbed a key in her pocket, opened the door and gave it to me. "That's the key of your room," she said. I thanked her again and entered the room.

My room was, like the rest of the palace, very well-decorated. The wooden closet and dresser had golden ornaments, there was a queen-sized bed against the wall opposite from a high window with purple curtains. A makeup table was placed near the window and in a corner were a carpet with two armchairs and a low table. This is the most beautiful room that I've had for the last six years, I thought in awe.