chapter three - cady heron & janis sarkisian

cady heron

•••

it had been approximately a month in a half since janis' half-spiral, and cady wouldn't forget about it. it concerned her. shes never seen janis like that. it made her worried, but it wasn't her top worry as halloween came closer.

cady was determined to now show up looking like a freak to this years halloween party. she had gone to many shops with janis, trying to convince her to dress up with her and janis finally caved, but only if they wouldn't do an animal of any sort, as long as she could wear black, her fishnets, and her boots still. cady agreed.

"have you talked to regina today?" janis asked, as they looked through the isles of the store. it was a saturday morning, and the two decided to look for a costume and then go get lunch.

"no, but i'm sure she'll update me on the party details soon." cady said, holding up a pair of bunny ears, but immediately putting them down remembering janis' rules. she was fine with it, but they didn't have much variety if they weren't going to go as animals.

"cool," janis replied. "just let me know, whenever." cady was looking at something on one of the shelves when she saw janis's phone. 'just let me know when you're ready to go visit her again.' she read. it was a text from mr. sarkisian. 'visit? again? visit who again?' cady thought, very confused.

"who are you visiting?" she asked, without even realizing. janis looked down at her phone and immediately shoving her phone in her bag, but cady grabbed it out of the bag and read it again. "janis?"

"i'm just visiting my grandmother." janis muttered, holding up a fake snake tattoo, obviously trying to change the subject, but it wasn't working. cady grabbed the tattoo, and slammed it down on the shelf, making janis jump.

"your grandmother lives in france. and your other grandmother doesn't have contact to you and your dad anymore." cady snapped, feeling bad seconds after. janis blinked a few times, and then opened her mouth to say something but immediately closed it again. "are you lying to me?" cady asked her. janis didn't say anything. all she simply did was grab her phone from cady.

"i gotta go." she muttered, taking off.

•••

"i don't know what happened! we were fine one second and then all of a sudden she lied to me and then when i asked her if she was she just left!" cady exclaimed, turning to look at regina who was filing her nails on her bed, as gretchen and karen sat in two chairs watching her.

"what did the text say again?" regina asked, putting the file down, and swinging her legs around to sit up straight and look at cady.

"something about going to visit her again when she was ready." cady sighed, sitting back down in her chair.

"well, her mom's family hasn't talked to them in years, and her dads family lives in france, so.." regina said, fixing her position.

"i know, i said the same thing-"

"oh my god." gretchen said, nearly dropping her phone.

"what?" the three of them asked, turning to face gretchen.

"it's her mom," gretchen said, pausing. "she's visiting her mom."