Chapter Nine - Damian Hubbard / Janis Sarkisian

Damian Hubbard

•••

Damian and Cady walked down the hall of the school together. They had two classes together today, English and their free period, so they walked around together right after English as their free period begun.

"Dude, did you see the mark she left on her face? Who knew she could swing like that!" One of the guys in their grade said as they walked past him.

Cady turned to look at Damian the same time he went to look at her. They had the same confused look on their faces, but shrugged it off.

'Probably some random freshman.' Damian thought, as they kept walking.

"Janis isn't replying to my texts." Cady said, pulling out her phone, coming to a stop.

"Did you just say Janis?" Tyler Kimball said, coming out of a classroom that was nearby. Damian looked up and so did Cady, both of them nodding. "Oh, dude! I can't believe she did that!" Tyler said, slinging his backpack over his shoulder, walking over to the two of them.

"Did what?" Damian and Cady asked at the same time.

"You don't know?" Tyler asked, looking between the both of them. They quickly exchanged a look, then quickly shook their heads. They had no idea what he was talking about. "Bro, Janis straight up bitch slapped Regina before last period ended. You haven't seen the video?"

"There's a video?" Cady asked, getting her words out quicker than Damian. He wanted to be proud. All Janis had ever wanted to do was bitch slap Regina, but now he was worried. She wasn't responding to either of their texts and now there's a video of her bitch slapping Regina.

"Here, it's this." Tyler said, pulling the video up and then handing his phone to Damian.

Damian quickly took it from him, observing the video. It started with Janis whispering something at Regina that Damian wasn't able to make out, but with a blink of an eye, Janis was swinging her hand at Regina's face.

"Oh my God!" Cady gasped, grabbing on to Damian's arm.

Damian wanted to be disappointed and upset with Janis, but he couldn't help but smile. he knew that she had wanted to swing at Regina for years now, and to see her finally do it made him proud.

"You're proud of her, aren't you?" Cady asked, turning to face him as Damian handed Tyler his phone.

"I hate to say it, but I've never been prouder." Damian smiled confidently.

Tyler told them how he had to go help Ms. Norbury, so he quickly said goodbye to the two and told Cady how he'd see her after school at mathleets. Damian opened his mouth to say something to Cady, but before he could, someone with a british accent was yelling their names at them from down the hall.

Damian and Cady whirled around at the same time to see a panicked Maeve Wiley running towards them.

"What's up?" Cady asked as Maeve stopped before them.

"You need to come. now." Maeve said seriously. Damian noticed that she was out of breath. Then he remembered that in the video he had just seen. Her voice broke. And then there were tears, followed by shaky hands. She looked sick, too. It was in that moment when Damian realized what was going on.