chapter seven - janis sarkisian

janis called out sick for the rest of that day. except she was still in the school all day long.

she found out that luke, reggie, alex and maeve don't actually ever go to class, and they just forge notes pretending their teachers who gave them permission to be in that class that day. maeve seemed to be the expert so she forced janis' dads signature and dropped off a note to someone (janis didn't know who) saying that she was going to be out of school all day.

they all hung out in one of the music practice rooms all day, getting to know each other and going through all of janis' notebooks to look at her drawings. they had almost made it to the end of the day in peace when the door was thrown open.

"oh jesus." janis muttered under her breath, and she heard the other four do something similar. she quickly grabbed her sketchbooks from them and shoved them into her backpack.

"so that's it? you just skip classes all day, now?" cady asked as she studied janis closely, not moving from the doorframe. janis wasn't sure how cady was able to figure out where she was, but she had a feeling had something to do with someone by the first name regina and the last name george.

"cady-"

"no. you don't get to speak, janis. you don't get to shut me out of your life, you don't get to not tell me anything, you don't get to let me find out about your feelings through someone you barely know, you don't get to lie around all day long while i take care of you, cancelling everything just to make sure you're okay just for you to not tell me anything! you don't get to act like the victim here. you might've been one before but now you're not, and you don't get to play that card. you don't get to ignore me while i try to be here for you, janis! i'm your girlfriend for gods sake! you don't get to do any of that." cady practically yelled. her face had gone red, but she hadn't moved one inch from the door frame. she just stood there, watching janis closely, looking like she was waiting for her to say something, but she didn't know what to say.

she opened her mouth to say something, but before she could even speak, cady broke.

"you know what, janis? i don't even want to hear it."

•••

janis wasn't sure if everyone had hated her by the time it was ready for everyone to leave school. she wasn't sure if damian was going to be staying after school with her like he normally did, or if he was going to be staying with her at all. she went to her last class that day, telling her teacher that she was able to clock in for the last period of the day. she didn't have any of those classes with cady or damian, or anyone she knew really, except for one person.

that one person being regina george.

"okay, i'm going to pair you guys up so you can work on your debate project. shane and ryan, sonja and glen, dawn and grace, janis and lizzie, regina and vicky, and the rest of you should have your partners already!" the perky debate teacher exclaimed, way too happy for janis' liking. she looked around the room but didn't spot lizzie, but then remembered the text she received from her earlier. janis and lizzie were supposed to meet up after school, but lizzie couldn't because she was getting early release.

"uh, ms. laurens? lizzie isn't here." janis said, walking up to the teachers desk.

"yeah, vicky isn't here either." regina said, coming up behind her. janis whirled around to face regina who immediately realized what was about to probably happen.