chapter two - janis sarkisian

cady and janis have said i love you to each other before. well, it was more janis. janis said i love you to cady. in fact, she doesn't even remember fully saying it. the day she said it to cady, it was an in the moment type of thing. janis told cady that she loved her, and only her. and it only recently (more like it was the only thing on her mind all of labor day) occurred to janis that cady never said it back to her. sure, that was fine, right? not to janis. it was the only thing she could think about. they had been dating for five months now and only said it once to each other. janis was sure she was in love with cady, and that she has been since the day she put her eyes on cady, but now she wasn't so sure. 

janis woke up to her alarm going off, blaring in her ears. her dog perked up and walked up janis's bed, immediately licking her cheek. janis groaned, and hit the snooze button on her phone, rolling over to face the wall. 'the sun is too bright.' she thought as she heard the handle on her door rattle. it was probably just her dad coming to let her dog downstairs to let her go outside. janis continued to bury her face in her pillow when her lights came on. she heard her dog let out a small bark, and her collar jingling.

"rise and shine, baby girl!" damians voice filled her ears. she wanted to resist smiling, but he never could fail to make her smile. she rolled over to face him, but she couldn't see him. she grabbed her glasses and put them on, then proceeded to sit up as damian came over and handed her a coffee cup. he had obviously stopped at the small coffee shop they always go to on his way over. janis blinked a few times to get her blurry morning vision to go away but she immediately realized that it didn't. she took her glasses off and rubbed her eyes a few times before realizing that her eyes were puffy.

"alright, mom. i'm up." she replied, rubbing her eyes again under her glasses.

"your eyes are super puffy, jan." damian told her as he took a sip of his coffee, and she did the same.

"that's what happens when you cry yourself to sleep, buddy." janis said, pushing her covers off of her and going into her closet, trying to put together an outfit.

"and why were we crying ourselves to sleep?" damian asked as janis entered the closet.

"i have no idea, dee. it just kind of happened." janis replied, pulling out a black skirt matched with a grey band tee she had found when she had gone through her mom's things. she's been wearing a lot of her moms things lately. it makes her feel close to her again. some of the shirts still smell like her, too.

"did regina say something to you last night?" damian asked as janis put on her shirt, quickly followed by her fishnets. she grabbed a pair of spandex and walked out of the closet.

"no, we didn't even talk until her family went to leave. i don't know what happened, but i feel bad. does cady think i'm mad at her?" janis asked, pulling on the spandex, putting the black skirt over.

"i don't think so, but i would check your phone just incase. she texted me worried about you last night, and said you hadn't responded." damian responded, taking janis's phone off the charger and then handing it to her. she buttoned up her skirt with one hand as she went through her notifications. a few from tiktok, which was probably from damian, one from instagram saying dianna argon had uploaded to her story (she was the only reason janis liked glee), a few from snapchat that janis didn't care about because they were probably just streaks, four texts from damian, two from her dad, and twelve from cady, along with three missed calls. janis typed in her phone password and went to check her texts with cady.