24

Adam picks up the garment bag he arrived with. "I have something for you."

He walks over and holds out the bag for me. I'm totally confused, but stand to take it from him.

"What is this?" I ask, not knowing what to do with the bag.

"A dress for the opera." He returns to the sofa, making himself comfortable.

"You bought me a dress? Why?" I ask, dumbfounded.

But the little girl in me is dying to see what it looks like. I don't remember the last time someone, especially a man, bought me a gift. Part of me wants to cry, and the other part doesn't know what to think about this.

"I didn't see an appropriate gown in your closet. Why don't you try it on? See if you like it. You can exchange it if you don't," he says matter-of-factly, but there is that challenge in his eyes again.

I look at him blankly, and then for reasons I may never understand, turn and walk into my room to try on the dress.

***

The dress is a beautiful strapless satin dream. It fits me like another skin, and accents my curves perfectly. The bodice is tight, and fitted down to the swell of my hips where multiple gathers cascade down to the ground in soft waves. The dress is exquisite, and I look fabulous wearing it. I've never seen a more stunning gown. There is no price tag to be found but it must have cost a small fortune. Pushing that thought aside, I pile my hair on top of my head in a messy bun, and add some black strappy heels before walking back into the living room.

Adam actually stands as I enter the room. The look on his face is unguarded and raw. He stares at me with what looks like wonder in his eyes. He recovers quickly as his serious mask falls back in place, but I saw what he is now hiding. I'm suddenly reminded of the gentle look between he and Katherine from my dream.

That was the type of look he gave me.

I turn in a circle, unable to hide my pleasure. "Well, how do I look?" I ask, grinning.

If I could forget about agreeing to let him bite me, I could get excited about the opera.

He continues to stare at me, now with an unreadable look on his face.

"Beautiful, and fragile," he says softly.

I look at him for a moment, then walk over and turn my back to him, asking, "Can you start the zipper? I barely got it up on my own. Way too much flexibility required for me to try that again in one night," I say, holding a few loose strands of my hair up and out of his way.

There is no response at first, but then after a moment I feel his hand on the zipper. He brings it down slowly, and I can feel his warm breath on my neck. I stifle a shiver, and turn to look at him. He's closer than I expected. I look up into his face and see desire so raw that my breath catches. I back up quickly, not wanting to be in this position with my dress ready to drop off if I wasn't holding it up.

I turn and hurry into my room, shutting the door.

***

I call Russell and invite him over for Thanksgiving this Thursday. He happily agrees to come. I let him know I might have a few other friends over, and he says, "the more the merrier." If he only knew.

Next, I call Dayna and ask if she has plans for Thanksgiving.

"Not really. Do you mind if I bring Jacob? We've been spending a lot of time together. I like him, Sam. He's incredibly sexy, sweet, and he thinks I'm funny, intelligent, and beautiful," she gushes.