16

This chapter is dedicated to @JulietLyons, #Wattpad author of the published version of Dating the Undead, and the Wattpad story, My True Love Ghost. I'm sure you will enjoy this paranormal romance written in Juliet's believable voice. It's a wonderfully well-written story with lots of surprising twists and turns. Also, check out 'Dating The Undead' (ongoing) by Juliet.

What an ass.

"That ship has already sailed and you missed it. Drunk was the only way that scenario would ever happen, and I already signed up for AA." I cross my arms and glare at him.

There is almost the beginning of a smile before he walks to a chair and makes himself comfortable. There is no trace of a smile by the time he fixes me with a stare. Adam looks like a bored king, sitting on his throne waiting to hand down judgment.

I'm pretty certain I've never met a man so full of himself.

I sit in the opposite chair and mirror his body language, minus the man-spread. His are spread in a relaxed male fashion while mine are crossed so that I don't flash him.

"Gabe knows what you are, and I didn't tell him," I say, curious for his reaction. I'm still giving him a dirty look. This is much better. We are back to normal. Normal for us, anyway.

"I know," he says evenly. "Did he tell you what he is?"

This piques my interest so I lean forward like a gossipy girl to hear the latest news on a hot guy. My eagerness seems to annoy Adam. He narrows his eyes at me.

"What are you talking about? He's a professor at the university." I'm dying to hear what he has to say about Gabe.

"That's his day job. He hunts my kind." Adam's eyes have a little glow around the edges.

I'm dumbfounded by his statement. He must be messing with me. Gabe is a mild-mannered, super-hot nerd type...with a magical pendent and vials of blood in his possession.

"You must be joking. I'm pretty certain you have the wrong guy," I say but my confidence is eroding quickly.

I go into the kitchen to make myself something to drink. "I'm making some tea. Can I get you something?" I open the fridge to see what I have to offer him.

"Since you're offering..." he says from behind me. I stand up, turn, and squeak in one awkward jerking motion.

Adam has me in an embrace faster than I can blink. He's staring into my eyes, and his are blue flames. My hands push at his chest.

Never a dull moment with this guy.

"What the hell are you doing? I was offering you something to drink, not me!" I'm feeling warm and tingly, and wine has nothing to do with it this time.

Distance! I need space between us, now. I push him with all I have, and he allows it by releasing his hold on me. There is now about twelve inches between us. I was hoping for more.

"I only drink one thing, Samantha. If you offer me anything to drink, that's it," he says, standing there like maybe I'll say okay. He's out of his mind, if that's what he's thinking.

"Well, I won't make that mistake again. Jeez, I was trying to be polite, you big jerk," I fume, and move around him to start my tea boiling. He remains close behind me, and I can't help but shiver, knowing he's there. Adam makes a noise that sounds like a laugh and slowly saunters back to his chair.

"I told you I will never drink from you until you ask me to," he says, wearing an amused look on his face.

He's watching me again, and it makes me nervous. Leaving the kettle to heat up on the stove, I prepare my cup with a tea bag and return to my seat.