20

Death must feel warm, cozy, and soft because that's how I'm feeling right now. I stretch luxuriously before I notice familiar things such as hearing Wilbur purring next to my head, the soft silky feel of my bamboo sheets, the smell of home, and... Adam? I did not expect Wilbur or a vampire in heaven.

I slowly, lazily open my eyes to a darkened room with soft light coming in around drawn curtains. I find Adam standing at the foot of my bed, watching me. I'm trying to figure out why I'm here, and what happened. Adam stands at the foot of my bed, watching me with a look I haven't seen before.

Was that another nightmare?

I touch my neck and find only smooth, unblemished skin. My fingers find my lips, and probe for pain or swelling. It feels normal. I sit up in bed and move my neck around on my shoulders; flex my arms, wiggle my toes.

Did I dream all of that?

I have had some incredibly realistic dreams lately.

After confirming that my body is not broken, and I'm obviously still alive, I jump to my knees on the bed and look at Adam in a panic. "Dayna?" I ask with my voice rough from sleep.

"You don't remember?" he asks gently. He's never gentle. Oh God! I failed. My eyes begin to fill with tears. I sink down, my legs fold under me, and I bury my face in my hands.

I feel Adam's strong arms wrap around me, while his weight settles on the bed next to me.

"She's safe. Jacob is guarding her. Nothing can touch her," he says into my hair.

I don't even know this Jacob, but I trust Adam.

I trust Adam. The truth of that statement surprises me. When did that happen?

I pull back and look into his face.

"Zac?" I ask, wiping my tears away with the back of my hand.

"He escaped," Adam says with an edge to his voice. His eyes have the softest blue glow about the edges as he continues to study my face.

I can't bear to look at them, but I can't look away. We stare at each other.

I don't believe I've ever looked into his eyes this long without turning away. His eyes speak volumes, but I don't understand the language. Adam is still such a mystery to me. I study the rest of his face until I find his lips. I linger there a moment. Looking into his eyes again, I see a hunger there that both thrills and scares me.

Adam's looking at me differently—a question in his eyes. Something feels different between us. Almost as though a wall has been removed.

Adam gazes at my lips now, and I know what he's going to do even before he begins to move closer. I don't resist because I want him to kiss me.

At that moment someone clears their throat from the doorway of my bedroom. We both turn our heads in unison.

Gabe is standing in the doorway looking angry, uncomfortable, and awkward, all at the same time.

"Coffee is ready," he says, retreating from the doorway quickly.

Looking down I realize that I'm only wearing a tank top and panties. I turn bright red and pull away from Adam as he reluctantly drops his arms from me. Grabbing the sheet, I pull it over my lower half.

"I think we need to talk about what happened last night," I say, stealing a glance at him. "I'm a little fuzzy on the details."

"Yes, we do," Adam says slowly and deliberately, as he rises from the bed and walks toward the door.