12

I didn't sleep well last night. I may have pushed Adam too far. Maybe he's gone for good this time. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

There's still the possibility that he made up the whole story about another vampire as an excuse to insert himself into my life, but what is his motivation? Instead of answers, I have more questions.

Purposely redirecting my thoughts, I focus on the fact that tonight I have a date with a handsome, educated professor. I am excited, and looking forward to that.

I'm still pleasantly surprised that he asked me out, but I have to wonder—why now? He's been friendly, but nothing that would lead me to believe he was interested in me. Maybe I don't read people as well as I think I do.

***

Dayna is meeting me for lunch on Mill Avenue. She's ten minutes late when she strolls in the door, which for Dayna is right on time. She leans over and gives me a hug before taking the chair across from me. A waitress appears and takes our order before removing our menus and leaving us alone. Dayna eyes me while taking a sip of water.

"What?" I ask, raising my eyebrows in question.

"So what's up with this mystery man that you're rumored to be sleeping with, and why am I the last to know?" she asks, crossing her arms.

Boy does information travel fast in our little circle. "I am not sleeping with Adam! What did Eric tell you, and is he okay? He still won't return my calls," I say, frowning.

"Do you blame him? I only have his side of the story, since you obviously weren't planning to tell your BFF what's going on," she says, looking a little hurt behind the teasing. "Dish it, sister."

"It's complicated. I never meant to keep anything from you. You know I tell you everything. Adam is the guy from the garage last weekend, and the one I was talking to at the bar that you thought was so hot. And—" I manage to say before she interrupts me.

"Wait, that is the guy you're sleeping with? Oh. My. Gosh! You better start sharing. He looks like a male model. He's so beautiful! Wait, didn't he also try to kill you?" she asks, looking confused. But she's on the edge of her seat, and I'm totally forgiven, just like that.

"I must have jumped to conclusions. Turns out he wasn't trying to kill me. And we aren't sleeping together. Eric got the wrong idea. He jumped to conclusions, himself, and wouldn't let me explain before storming out. Did he tell you he kissed me?" I ask, trying to divert some of the attention from Adam and me.

"No, he left that juicy little detail out. Now he's on my shit list," she says, taking a bite of her taco that just arrived. "What did happen?" She's waiting for me to catch her up.

"Adam borrowed my shower. Nothing happened. We are so not dating. He's helping me with a case, so you know I can't tell you about it."

I'm going to hell for these lies. Guilt is about to choke me, but it's safer for her if she doesn't know. Time to change the subject.

"I have a date tonight." I say, knowing that will steer her away from the touchier subject of Adam.

"Who with?" Her eyes widen and she's instantly excited for me. I knew she would be.

"Gabe asked me out. He's taking me downtown to some Thai restaurant," I say, grinning from ear to ear.

"This is awesome! I'm so happy for you! What are you wearing, and how are you doing your hair? I think you should wear it down. And wear that one blue dress that looks so good on you with those little black boots. You'll look amazing. He won't know what hit him!"