8

I dedicate this chapter to @Leila_Adams, Wattpads author of Offering - A New Adult, Urban Fantasy—a roller coaster ride of a story. Leila has a different take on vampires that I know you will enjoy. Offering is full of steamy romance, tough choices and non-stop action!

The view of the city from the roof is beautiful. Blue skies as far as I can see today. I had Harold let me onto the rooftop to take some pictures. I wonder if I can get a key for myself.

I walk around the entire roof looking for anything out of the ordinary. Finding nothing amiss, I make my way over to the edge of the building that is directly above my balcony. There are no rope marks, which I would expect to find if someone had actually rappelled off the roof.

I'm out of theories as to how he's gained access to my condo—twice.

After finding nothing helpful on the roof, I head to the lobby on my way to the gym.

My hair is pulled up in a messy bun, and I'm wearing a tank top, loose sweat pants, and sneakers. The temperature is in the 80s for the next couple of days. So much for our cold front.

I'm in deep thought about my current late night visitor when I hear, "Hello, Samantha." I jump a bit before realizing that Gabe is sitting on the sofa in the lobby.

I try to recover quickly, but there is no hiding my over-reaction. I smile. "Hi, Gabe. I didn't see you there." I love to state the obvious around him.

He stands, gives me a warm smile, and says, "I'm sorry if I frightened you. I was wondering if you'd like to have dinner with me on Saturday."

I'm stunned, and it must show on my face, because he quickly adds, "I know it's short notice, so if you're not available I understand. Maybe another time." He actually breaks eye contact as he looks down at his shoes.

That's a first.

I snap out of my daze. "No, I'd love to have dinner with you Saturday. You surprised me, is all."

This seems to make him happy, and he perks up. "May I stop by at seven?"

"Yes, seven would be great." I feel like an idiot—but a happy idiot.

"Great. There's a nice Thai restaurant downtown that I'd like to take you to. Do you like Thai?"

"That's one of my favorites," I say, trying to keep the dumb grin off my face. "I'm looking forward to it."

We smile at each other before he heads to the stairs, and I float out the door to find my car. Can my day get any better than that?

Cue music: Walking on Sunshine.

***

I'm ready to kick some bootie by the time I walk through the doors of the gym. I am high on happiness. Maybe I should get a pedicure before Saturday.

I head to the back and a tall, lean Hispanic man with a thin, tight mustache looks up from a clipboard as I walk up.

"You're late," he says, and goes back to his writing. I'm in such a good mood that even Eddie can't bring me down.

Eddie is the boxing and martial arts coach at my gym. I've been training with him for the past three years. We have a standing date on Thursdays. He talks tough, but he's a big marshmallow.

"Your clocks are fast. By the way, I had some trouble this past weekend, and I want to go over the situation with you, if that's all right?" I ask.

Looking up from his clipboard, he narrows his eyes at me and gives me his full attention now. "What kind of trouble?"

I tell him a condensed version of the situation between Adam and me Saturday night.