13

We face Adam, and Zac holds me from behind. One arm is wrapped around my chest, pinning my arms to my sides. His other hand is at my throat, and his nails are digging into my skin. I don't move; I barely breathe. I have no idea what this supernatural psycho is capable of.

The temperature in the hallway drops noticeably. I can't control a shiver as it passes through me.

"If you harm her, it will be the last thing you do," Adam growls. I'm even afraid of him. His face is contorted with such cold rage that he couldn't pass for human in this moment. His lips are drawn back, and his sharp canines are on display. I don't know who to be more afraid of, but I think the guy whose hand is at my throat wins for now.

I can't see Zac's face, but his body is humming with energy, and I think some blood has trickled down my neck into my bra from his nails pressing into my throat. I don't feel the pain—yet.

My eyes are locked on Adam. He was right. He's been the only thing standing between me and a sure death. And I didn't trust him. Can I trust him to save me now, or am I already dead? This thought makes tears well up in my eyes, but I refuse to let them fall. I will not give this leech the satisfaction.

"Adam! It's been a long time. Did you get the message I left you? I might have killed your little pet then, but you were keeping such a close eye on her I had to settle for another toy in the building," Zachariah says close to my ear. I try to turn my head away from him, but he presses harder on my throat, cutting off my air, so I face forward again.

"What do you want, Zac? I have things to do. I don't have all night," I say. Don't act like a victim, and you might not be a victim.

"Adam! I do see why your dead heart started beating again. She has spirit. A real fire burning in her. I can feel it. How it must hurt you to know I can end her existence with the flick of my finger. They are so fragile, these humans—but you know that, don't you, Adam? What makes you think this one won't break?" Zac says in his smooth, silky voice. He puts his lips on my cheek. He's taunting Adam, but why?

"Release her and you live another day, Zachariah. Toy with me further, and I will end you, here and now," Adam commands. I can see my breath, and I realize the temperature has actually dropped. I wasn't simply imagining it. There is so much I don't know.

To me, Zac says, "Adam is always spoiling the fun, Sam, but don't worry, my love. You and I have unfinished business. I'll call on you again soon." To Adam he says, "Do warm her up for me, will you?"

With his last words he shoves me at Adam. My feet actually leave the ground. Adam catches me, but not before my head bounces off his chest, hard. My ears are ringing, and dark spots dance before my eyes. Adam holds me tightly against his chest, and I let him. My head rests against him as I catch my breath and attempt to slow my racing heart. I've never come so close to death.

I want to curl in a ball and cry for hours. At this moment I would be perfectly content to curl up on Adam's lap and let him sooth me back to a place where monsters don't exist.

The irony does not escape me. I'm willing to curl up with one monster to forget all the others. Adam could be the biggest, baddest monster on the block. So glad he seems to be on my side.

Gabe chooses this moment to walk around the corner.

Of course he does.

I'm so happy to be alive I want to scream, but the awkward situation before me calls for some immediate attention. Aware of the scene we must make, I push away from Adam reluctantly, and turn toward Gabe. He seems to be waiting patiently for an explanation. He's pretty cool headed for a guy whose date was in the arms of another man.

"Gabe, it's not what it looks like. I can't explain it, but whatever you think it is, it's not," I say, and straighten my dress.

Adam retrieved my clutch from the floor, and hands it to me. "Excuse me," Adam says, and walks past Gabe.

They eye each other in passing. Neither man looks intimidated by the other, but Gabe has no idea what Adam is. He should be intimidated.

It's only the two of us, and an awkward silence as we stand there looking at one another. I should write a book called How to Stay Perpetually Single.

Gabe pulls a white handkerchief from his pocket and hands it to me while motioning toward my neck. Embarrassed, I accept the handkerchief and walk into the lady's room to clean off my neck.

When I come out Gabe gives me a small smile while offering me his arm and says, "Our food has arrived." I blink at him, and then take his arm and let him lead me back to our table.

I'm surprised he hasn't asked about the blood on my neck. Maybe he thinks it's a private matter. I hope he doesn't think Adam did this, but he most likely does. I guess we will discuss this later.

Neither of us says much through dinner. He asks how I like the food, and I tell him it's the best I've ever had. It is. I know that I didn't do anything wrong, but I feel guilty all the same.

I polish off two whole glasses of wine with dinner. Counting the one I had at home, I'm going to pay for it tomorrow. Hopefully, I don't fall in these heels. I needed to take the edge off the intensity of the situation. Between the food, adrenaline rush, and the wine, I'm feeling pretty sleepy and relaxed in a short time. Adam must have left the restaurant because I don't see him. I'm sure he's still near. At least I hope so.

"Gabe, I would like to explain that scene in the hall earlier, but it's extremely complicated. I want you to know I wasn't being disrespectful to you. I hope you can believe that. I am happy to be out with you tonight." I reach for my water to start hydrating, even though it's too late for that.

"I do believe you, Samantha. When you are ready to talk about it, I'll be ready to listen. I was hoping to go for a drink after dinner, but you seem tired. Would you rather go home?" he asks.

"Thank you. You're handling this much better than most men would. And yes, I think I should go home. I hope you don't mind." I'm ready to slide off my seat by this time.

I manage not to fall on the way back to the car. Thank goodness Gabe gives me his arm to lean on. I should not have had that last glass of wine. That was stupid of me. Now I look like I have a drinking problem on top of everything else.

We drive home in silence. After we park the car, Gabe helps me out. He offers me his arm and places his other hand over mine. It's a sweet gesture under the circumstances. He walks me to my door and waits while I pull out my key and unlock it.

I turn toward him, and say, "Thank you for taking me out tonight. I hope you're still speaking to me tomorrow." I slip off my heels, and hold them in one hand.

What he does next blows my mind. He reaches one arm around my waist and pulls me to him while his other hand slides into my hair as he guides my head toward his lips. What follows is toe-curling, hot passion as his lips claim mine in one of the most romantic kisses of my adult life.

Wow—was not expecting that.

Gabe gently releases me, and I instantly miss his warmth. I can't even speak. I stare at him with my lips parted. He steps back and gives me a mischievous smile that matches the passion in his eyes.

He turns and walks to the stairwell door. Before he disappears he turns to me and says, "You should take care, Samantha. Vampires are not good company to keep." And with that the door closes behind him and he's gone.

What the...?