19

There comes a time in everyone's lives when we suffer regret over a choice we've made. My father used to say that if you had nothing to regret, then you haven't lived.

That did not mean that I got away with anything when I was younger. Dad always gave me that little talk after he dealt out my consequences for stupid stuff, like sneaking out of the house or drinking alcohol for the first time. I didn't always appreciate his wisdom back then, but each year I've understood his advice better and apply it to my life. I miss hearing his voice.

Tonight I won't worry about regretting my choices, because the ones I make tonight will be my last.

I won't regret my decision—only what might have been.

***

As I drive to my destination, I busy my mind with how surprisingly easy it was to sneak out when Adam left. I'm sure the last thing he expected was that I would leave without telling anyone where I was going. Just as Zac had said he would, Adam left a few minutes after eleven.

He is a creature of habit.

Knowing I'd have precious little time to leave the building before Adam returned, I was prepared when the moment was right. My clothes were on under my robe, and my bag was stuffed with items that I thought I might need, but doubt I'll have time to use.

Random thoughts of my parents keep running through my mind as I drive down the dark streets of Phoenix. Mingled among the fear and doubt regarding my choice to meet Zac, I cling to a tiny sense of peace, knowing I'll be joining them soon. I've missed them in my life like an ache that never goes away, even with time. I wonder if they know what's happening to me now, or are they blissfully unaware. Maybe they're up in Heaven, expecting me to live a long, full life before joining them.

Won't they be surprised?

It's one thing to say you're willing to give your life for another, but an entirely different mental battle to actually do it. I've racked my brain for the last four hours trying to figure out a way to not have to go through with this. They all end with Dayna suffering, and ultimately dying because of my choice.

I can't let that happen. Even though my fear screams at me to run away—telling me I want to live, I know I wouldn't be able to go on knowing I could have saved my oldest, dearest friend from a certain death. I'm not wired that way. Guilt would kill me slowly.

Okay, I sound morbid and depressing, even under the circumstance.

I won't let Dayna suffer because of me. That thought is pure and simple. It's my fault she's in this situation. She's as close to a sister as I've ever had. And she shouldn't have to know what Zac is or what he does.

My GPS says I'm getting close now. I feel perspiration break out over my body, and suddenly I'm cold and shivering. My hands shake, and my stomach is so tight I may throw up at any moment.

I pull up and park in front of an old apartment building that looks as though it's scheduled to be demolished soon. Wire fencing surrounds the dark, forgotten property. In the moonlight I can see graffiti on the walls, along with broken or missing doors and windows on many units.

I lay my head on the steering wheel and try to calm my nerves. Even though I know I'm doing the right thing, it's still taking everything I have to make my body take that first step out of the car.

"Pull it together, Sam. Dayna is alone with that monster, and you need to get moving," I say to myself.

I reach into my bag and pull out the vial Gabe left for me. Staring at the crimson liquid within, I wonder what it is. I have a strong suspicion that it's blood, but from who or what I can't even imagine. Not wanting to think about its origins any longer, I twist off the small black top and put it to my lips. In one quick motion I toss it back and swallow it all in two gulps.