27

The glass of wine slips from my hand and shatters on the floor. Red wine and glass shards splatter across the floor, but I barely notice.

We stare at the mess at my feet. I look back up at Conor and glare at him. Adam is by my side in an instant. Another moment and Jacob is flanking him.

Conor drops to a crouch, knives flashing before I see him move. Gabe stands between his younger cousin and the threat that the vampires present.

I couldn't care less about the male posturing going on. "What do you mean? Are you saying your family is going to kill Gabe for saving my life?" I demand.

I'm blustering to hide the fear crawling up my spine. I step forward with my hands on my hips to confront Conor, who I know is merely the messenger, but I can't separate my anger from him or the message from the messenger. He represents Gabe's dysfunctional family right now.

"Hellfire, Gabriel! What are you doing spending time with the likes of these? Do you hate your family so much that you befriend the enemy of all The Living?" Conor says, ignoring my question—ignoring me.

Ignoring his cousin and staring down the two vampires at my side, Gabe says, "For the record, if there is a fight, I stand with my family."

Gabe's body language says he's ready to throw down right here in my entry hall if the situation calls for it.

I'm overwhelmed by the tense emotion rolling off Gabe and the feeling of power coming from all sides. It's difficult to think clearly.

"Nobody is fighting anyone, so back to my question. Do you plan to kill Gabe?" I ask, trying to ignore all the testosterone floating around me.

"It's not me that wants him dead. His family has argued in his defense, but we were overruled by a vote of the council." Looking at Gabe, he says, "I volunteered to give you the message so I could warn you. As your cousin, and on behalf of your father, uncles, and family, we beg you to go into hiding. Don't come home and make us watch your execution. I think your father fears you'll do just that."

"Your family would actually kill him for helping me? What kind of a sick twisted family does that? I don't understand," I say, exasperated.

Realizing that I voiced my thoughts out loud, I look up at Gabe sheepishly.

"I'm so sorry, Gabe! I shouldn't have said that about your family. I'm worried about you. What will you do? I feel responsible for all of this."

He smiles at me as he takes my hands in his. He eyes Adam, then turns his attention to me.

"It's okay, Sam. Most families have dirty little secrets. Ours is on a much grander scale." He gives me a crooked smile. "This is not your fault. I made the decision to leave the pendant and the vial for you. I knew what I was doing. This is my responsibility and my problem. I'll work it out," he says, releasing my hands and turning to Conor.

"Let's go to my place to talk."

Turning back at the door, he looks at me. "Thank you for dinner." He leans over and kisses my cheek before closing the door. I feel helpless when he's gone.

Jacob is already using a towel from the kitchen to clean up the glass and wine that I dropped. I turn from the door and see Dayna standing at the edge of the living room looking concerned. I wonder how much she heard. I drop down to help Jacob, and Adam turns to lead Dayna back into the living room.

"Thank you for helping me," I say as we crouch together, picking up pieces of glass.

He gives me a warm smile that makes it hard not to like him. I don't know if I want to like him or not. It depends on his intentions toward Dayna.