She's My Friend

Caroline stared long and hard at the box between her hands. The earrings were easily the most beautiful piece of jewelry she had ever seen, aside from her mother's wedding ring or any of Emma's necklaces. She was shocked to know that Zelena bought them for her, out of all the other gifts she could have received. Caroline liked how they glittered in a thousand different directions when she tilted them from side to side, how she imagined she would look in them... and how they made her feel special.

However, there was a catch to Zelena's unexpected present. Caroline didn't know why she didn't stay longer, to say hi, or at least long enough for her to open it so she could give her an over exasperated 'thank you' right then and there. But she was no where to be found- Caroline didn't even realize that she had come into Granny's in the first place, let alone spoke with her dad. That gave her a fluttered feeling in the pit of her stomach, like someone had picked her up and shaken her one too many times. She remembered spilling all those worrisome things to Zelena concerning her parents- about herself- personal things she really wouldn't have told anyone else. It just didn't seem right for them to meet- like oil refusing to have any connections with water. More importantly, as soon as she unwrapped the earrings, her entire family seemed to slam on the breaks- shut down, transform into people she had never seen before. Everyone looked cautious, unsure of things, and completely blindsided. They cast nervous glances towards one another in hope of finding clarity, only to become more muddled and skittish than they were to begin with. Ruby, Henry, even Roland couldn't cover up their slightly shocked, mesmerized expressions, no matter how many fake smiles they sent her way. Everyone seemed to drift their odd body language towards Robin and Regina, who both had completely unrecognizable expressions on their faces. That's how Caroline definitely knew that something was up.

When they got home, Robin offered ice cream, which, of course, was an offer the now ten year old couldn't refuse. It wasn't until she sat down at the kitchen table, with her mother and father sitting across from her, that a strong and formidable barrier between her and the rest of the world, that Caroline realized that she had fallen right into their trap.

"This is about Zelena, isn't it," she stated nervously, the question rushing out of her before she could push it back.

Her mother nodded. Caroline noticed that her hand was covered by her father's, and that her eyes weren't filled with the confidence they always bestowed. Her father looked the same way, though he was clearly trying harder to put on a strong face. It sent shivers down her spine.

What have I gotten myself into?

"I- we- just want to know why you've never mentioned her before." Regina attempted, her gaze shooting right through her, like her daughter wasn't even there.

"You've never done this before, kept someone from us. Out of everyone in this town, why choose a middle aged midwife?"

"Because she's nice to me," Caroline defended, "and she doesn't know a lot of other people here. She's interesting and she's fun to talk to."

"We just don't know who she is, honey," Robin added in, "don't you think it's a bit odd that your mother, the mayor, hasn't met her?"

"Not only that; she's not in any of the censuses, either," Regina finished, her voice instantly darker and slightly brash. As a result, the hand over hers squeezed slightly.

"Don't gang up on her like that. She was just being nice. She's my friend."

"We're not trying to, Caroline. I just.. I don't have a good feeling about her. And the earrings she got you... They're really expensive. Whether we know her or not, I don't feel comfortable with you receiving such a valuable gift. You need to go back to her house and return it."