Determination

Cold morning air filled her senses. She last remembered her father laying her down on a bed of hay somewhere outside the village they had arrived at, the sun just beginning to lighten the sky. Everything was bright around her when she opened her eyes; trees gently swayed, the arid breeze bringing her fully awake. The night before felt like a dream to the girl; it all happened so fast. Zelena was out there searching for her, and although she no longer had magic, she still feared her.

"Dad?" She called out to the nothingness around her, realizing that she was completely alone. Calling out his name again, louder this time, she stood up and brushed the loose straw from her cloak.

"Caroline, over here!" She heard him call out towards her, his voice flooding her with relief. Rounding a corner, she realized that the hay she had slept on was right behind a log house. Her head peered cautiously through the open door, her worry vaporized when she saw her father seated at a small table with a plate of food in front of him, an older man sitting at his side.

"You're awake!" He stared with a smile, gesturing for her to come closer, "I was just going to come get you- this is Peter, and he's nice enough to share his breakfast with us."

Though still a bit confused, the girl came over and gave the man a polite smile, taking a seat at the table next to her dad.

"Have whatever you like," Peter proposed, "I don't mind sharing. I know what it's like to be traveling."

There were strawberries, oatmeal, milk, and sausage. Seeing food again made Caroline realize how hungry she was. She quickly began filling her plate.

"I can't thank you enough for letting us catch some rest," Robin said, "we really needed it."

The man sent him a reassuring look. "Not a problem, anything for a fellow marksman." He then turned his attention to the ten year old, who was fully invested in the food on her plate. "Has your father taught you to shoot yet?"

She glanced over towards her dad, shaking her head. "I keep asking to try, but he says no."

Robin laughed. "Because we don't have time! I promise, once we get back home, I'll teach you."

The pleasantries then began to fall flat; she had no idea when that would be, only how far away it was.

"I taught my oldest- your brother- when he was twelve, and he hit an apple head on his second try."

She remembered Henry telling her that story. It seemed like such an exciting time, one she wished she could be a part of. The Enchanted Forest slowly revealed itself to be the wondrous land her family always raved about- she didn't realize, however, that the happy times were hidden underneath all the danger that hung like fog between the trees.

"My daughter Marcel can out shoot every person in this village- I taught her everything she knows."

His words made Caroline smile. "Maybe one day I'll be that good."

Robin admired her for a moment, her spirit finally returning after so many days of absence. She was a brilliant mix of the both he and Regina.

"I've been relying on my daughter to bring me part of her hunt for the last little while," the man said, gesturing towards the far corner of his cottage. "Mine broke clean down the middle, and I don't have the money to make a new one."

Robin followed his glance, taking a sip of coffee before standing up. "May I?"

The man nodded, and watched as Robin carefully picked up the pieces and observed them. "You're right- with a break like this, there really isn't any way to repair it."