Her Darkest Truth

She had spent her entire childhood imagining what her birth mother was like, the woman that was responsible for her magical abilities. Thinking about her often made the pain of her childhood subside, even if it were only for a moment or two. When she first discovered Cora Mills and all of the things she had accomplished, her initial reaction was a surge of pride- even if she did abandon her, the woman who gave birth to her was fierce and unapologetic, taking what she wanted and never looking back. The more she uncovered about her mother, the more her respect grew. Admiration quickly transformed to hatred in a vicious cycle that kept her moving forward.

All of the familiar feelings from her youth resurfaced as soon as she stepped across the threshold of Cora's chamber. Something within her seemed to spark when she entered the room, an instant acknowledgment of all the important magical items hidden away around her. Zelena could sense the long hours spent learning and perfecting her craft; in that room, she felt closer than ever before to her mother.

"I don't suppose you ever thought this day would come," Zelena muttered, her words fading into the stillness. "Someone really wanted me to find all of your best kept secrets. And now," she couldn't help but chuckle as she sauntered around the room, eagerly awaiting her chance to explore it all- "now the daughter you abandoned and the grandchild you thought you'd never have are both in your house in this very moment."

Gingerly opening the desk drawer, Zelena felt the barrier of blood magic dissolve around her fingertips. A wooden wand lay perfectly placed in the center. She couldn't resist picking it up and examining it through and through, envisioning the long life it once had.

"I spent so many years of my life wanting to be as powerful as you once were," she began, feeling the strong magic radiate from the wand. "but then I realized that I could become far more powerful than you ever dreamed of- you and I never got the chance to meet, but I'm going to make you wish you hadn't left me all those years ago." Her voice carried an icy finish, a threat that begged to be put into action.

With that, Zelena tucked the wand inside her cloak and continued on.

--

Heartbeats drummed against her ears as she walked down the long stretch of hallway. With a wave of her hand, the candles lining both walls burst with light, giving an alluring and welcoming glow. Caroline knew her dad would be cross with her for going on by herself, but she couldn't resist the opportunity to know her mother in a completely different aspect of life. Magic was the one thing that bonded her to the grandmother she had never met, and within that house, the drive towards discovery felt stronger than ever. It fueled the girl's every step forward, one after another until she was met with a large door, signaling the end of the hallway. Stopping abruptly, Caroline stared at the closed door and reveled in the silence for a moment, the pull towards whatever was on the other side of the door practically overwhelming her senses.

Reaching forward, she turned the knob slowly, letting loose an eerie creak as the door opened. Caroline poked her head in, caution taking hold on her. The caution, however, dissipated when she began surveying the scene- she discovered a bedroom, one with a small bed in the corner, a bookshelf brimming with books against the wall, and a desk off to the side. A paned window allowed whatever sunlight remained to give the room a soft hue. Everything appeared immaculate and in its proper place.

Her first steps inside the room were as quiet as possible, every breath she took feeling like a cascade of noise. She found herself drawn to the desk first, especially when a framed picture caught her eye. Although the photograph was faded with age, it caused the girl's eyes to widen like saucers- a little girl was sitting on her father's lap, his arms around her securely. Caroline instantly recognized who the little girl was, even if it was nearly impossible to believe.