Closing In (For the Kill)

Trying to get back in touch with her primitive side was like making conversation with a stranger who spoke another language- it was tedious, exhausting, and damn near impossible. She didn't expect it to be so difficult, mostly due to the fact that things usually came easy to her. The time spent in Storybrooke gave her a loyal circle of friends, a steady job, and a grandmother that raised her through the good days and the bad ones too. She had nearly forgotten her childhood in the Enchanted Forest, along with her parents. The recollection of the first time she transformed was still fresh, however; it had been a memory she kept running through her mind in moments of stillness. She wanted nothing more than to feel that rush again.

"I thought you said it'd be easy to turn back into a Werewolf again," Will called to her in slight frustration, watching her irritated stance ahead of him. They had been walking all day towards Rumple's castle.

"It's not like it is in the movies!" She shouted back, feeling completely exhausted. Being able to say she was a Werewolf was something she prided herself on for years, yet then it seemed impossible. "I have no idea why it isn't working- I think I'm doing everything right..."

Will bit back all the snide remarks he could say back, knowing all too well that they wouldn't do any good. But he was exhausted, and being a smart ass was in his blood.

"Maybe you just need to be mad enough- Regina says that always works with magic."

"This isn't the same type of magic!" Ruby shot back, "it just sort of... happens, when you want it to."

Will racked his brain for options, knowing each day spent there was crucial. "When have you felt the most in touch with your Werewolf side in the past? I could find an animal for you to chase down."

Before she could reply with a condescending remark, she paused and waited for him to catch up to her. "Actually, that's not a bad idea. Could be fun, right?"

A smile spread on his face as he took the knife from his back pocket, veering off the path and entering the forest. "You stay here- I'll be fast."

He disappeared into the trees without another word, treading through the forest as quietly as he could manage. Although his brother had become notorious for his prowess in the art of pillaging and thieving, Will liked to think he wasn't too shabby either. The forest had been his home, and he found comfort within it.

Relying on faith alone, he continued further into the woods, trying not to stray too far from the path. He moved swiftly, feeling like a boy again, until the view of a large deer centered in his vision and stopped him in his tracks. Its head turned in his direction almost instantly- Will found himself in the stare down of the century. He hadn't fully figured out a plan yet, so staring back at the beast was his only option.

Before he was able to make his move, (which would have been sloppy and wildly misjudged) a black figure swooped right past him, followed by a rush of wind. Will stood, petrified, as the figure pounced on the deer in a flash, tearing it apart like a chew toy. It took a moment for him to register that the beast, this dark haired, four legged wolf devouring its prey, was his girlfriend. It was an odd sensation watching the bloody scene in front of him, but nonetheless, it's exactly what he did. He soon found himself face to face with the beast, blood coating its snout and fangs.

"Oh shit," he breathed, finding familiarity in her eyes, "Rubes, is it really you?"

The wolf gave a slight nod, making Will wish he had his phone with him to capture the moment.

--

Caroline couldn't keep her mind off of the impending doom she knew was coming. Magic always came with a price, and she finally understood what that truly meant. It was more than just an overused saying from her family, it was the difference between life and death. She had voluntarily allowed evil to seep between the cracks of their already volatile existence in this new realm, threatening to destroy everything they were fighting so hard for.