Making Magic Happen

The silence was really starting to get to her. Emma thought that distancing herself from her family for a bit would be nice, but the eeriness crept upon her without notice. Killian couldn't take being around a comatose Regina any longer, so he let Emma be and explored downstairs. The blonde couldn't seem to leave the master bedroom- she had three different spellbooks cracked open lying on her bed. Even if it killed her, Emma was going to get back in touch with her magic and figure out a way to rescue her. Magic always came naturally to her, much to Regina's annoyance, but after so many years of abandonment, some of it was still a struggle.

"I know you're probably judging me," she said sarcastically towards Regina, "but I was fine for ten years without magic, you gotta admit."

Reading the ancient literature was hardly Emma's strong suit, but it was Regina's life on the line. She probably would've known exactly what to do if the situation were reversed.

"You definitely haven't been turned into a toadstool," she muttered, flipping through the pages irritably. Her eyes were tired of reading words that barely made sense to her. In the few hours she had spent in the room, Emma had successfully remembered how to make objects levitate and how to teleport herself to different places in a cloud of smoke. None of these things could help with finding Regina.

Perhaps it was her need to always be the one to fix things that kept driving her forward; she didn't know. But Regina had children that really needed her, along with many honorary family members that wouldn't be the same without her. So Emma pressed forward.

By the time she looked up from the book she was attempting to read, the sky outside was completely black. Her nose crinkled at the smell of something odd but delicious wafting in from downstairs. Gliding down the staircase, Emma was surprised to see her boyfriend in the kitchen, tending to three different pots on the stove at once.

"What the hell is this?" Emma asked, in a weak attempt to be cross with him. She was hungry, though.

Killian grinned towards her. "We can't let their food go to waste, right? I'm trying to perfect this quiche recipe."

The pirate had recently taken an interest in culinary arts, much to Emma's enjoyment.

"I am starving, but this is kind of... weird, considering the situation."

Killian gave her a look. "I know Robin would be okay with it- -and we do have to stay here overnight to look after Regina. Makes sense to me."

Her tension eased when he uncorked a bottle of red wine and poured a glass for her. She graciously accepted the glass and kissed him.

"I'm glad I don't have to be here by myself tonight," she said before taking a sip.

The dinner Killian had made was delicious, just like she knew it would be. In just an hour, she was full and pleasantly drunk, almost making her almost forget about all their current problems.

"They really have decorated this place nicely over the years," Emma remarked, gazing around at the living room she had been in thousands of times before. "Doesn't it make you feel old, knowing that we've both been in here before Caroline was born? I still remember when Regina gave me the apple turnovers and tried forcing me out of town- those were the days."

The pirate put his arm around her and pulled her close. Sure he was beginning to accept the fact that they were all getting older; he had even let some of his grey hairs remain uncolored. Things like that used to bother him, but since Emma came into his life, he relaxed on quite a few things that weren't nearly as important.

"It's strange not having Caroline here demanding all of our attention," he remarked, the memory still fresh in his mind. "She's just like her mother- outspoken and relentless when it comes to getting her way."