The Hood Family

Snowfall had always been something she was fond of. It was something simple, yet it made such a beautiful appearance through her front window. This day, however, Regina wasn't looking outside her window for enjoyment- her daughter was out there somewhere. And even though the snow looked stunning, she knew there were hidden dangers laced beneath the surface.

"I knew one of us should've went with her," Regina sighed, managing to tear her eyes from the scene in front of her to face her husband.

As usual, there was a pleasant smile on his face- after ten years of knowing him, she knew exactly what he was going to say.

"You worry too much, dear, she's just going to Granny's."

She then heard a moan from the living room. "And she's taking forever!"

Caroline was taking forever. That was what had begun her worry in the first place. A nine year old shouldn't be out in such horrible weather.

"It's probably just busy today, that's all," Robin said, comforting her to the best of his abilities, as always.

Soon, she felt a pair of arms around her, filling her with a warmth only he could give. Maybe her complete family wasn't there, but at least her husband was.

"Guys, we established this- no romance in the living room!" Roland hollered when he saw them, trying to avoid the mushy couple as he plopped down on the couch.

Robin responded to his son's outburst by playfully pecking his wife on the cheek, knowing it would irritate him further.

"I don't remember making any deals about that," he stated, holding Regina tighter and watching the teen blatantly ignore him.

Robin didn't want to call his fifteen year old son awkward, but that was exactly what teenagers were- awkward. Sure he had passed through all the voice changes, the random bouts of growth spurts, the hormones, but Roland was still turned off completely by love or affection. He absolutely hated his mother giving him hugs, which she still enforced upon him, or even just complimenting him on simple things. Regina worried it was because he was scared of girls; however, Roland did have a few friends that were girls. And, as far as she knew, her youngest son had received the exact same 'birds and bees' talk from Robin that Henry got when he was his age. His twenty two year old brother was getting along well with girls- a little bit too well, for Regina's liking.

"What's Alex doing for the weekend?" She asked, his focus down on the screen of his phone.

"Uh, I think she's helping out her mom at her studio. Why?"

"Just asking," she said, sensing his defensiveness, "you haven't invited her over for a while. Same with August."

Even though August Booth was a year and a half older than him, he was one of Roland's best friends. He had been fairly successful in keeping up with his second chance at being a teenager again, spending a majority of his time with his grandfather in his woodcarving shop. It was slightly weird when they first started hanging out, because Regina knew August as a thirty year old writer who rode a motorcycle around town. The seventeen year old August rode that same motorcycle.

"Don't worry about me, Mom," Roland chuckled, setting his phone down when he heard the front door open.

Relief flooded through her system when she saw her daughter trudge into the house, her shoes squeaking against the hardwood as she set the bags of food down on the kitchen table.

"What took you so long?" Regina asked; naturally the first thing she said.

Caroline shook the snow from her hair, slipping off her coat and taking off her shoes.