xii. WARRIOR

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓warrior┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓
warrior
┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

THEY WERE running towards the screaming noise, regularly tripping over branches and plants. Sherlock was in the front, his coat carelessly trailing behind him. Janet was already out of breath, having become quite out of shape in the last weeks. She's used to work out at least once a week, but her whole schedule has been destroyed after a specific incident she still couldn't even think about. When they finally reached a hut consisting of rotten wood, the boy's screams became quieter, as if he was inhibited. Sherlock didn't hesitate running inwards, slowing down only when he searched the hut. There was just one small room, but it was full of old furniture, so finding somebody was not as easy as expected.

"Go in", said John soon. "I'll stay here. Keeping my eye on the woods. If Moriarty shows up, I'll warn you and distract him." He gave an encouraging smile to his sister, causing her to nod quickly and follow the consultant inside, as she felt certain about Moriarty not showing up. There were too many unsolved puzzles for him to make an appearance already. The fun has just begun.

"Sherlock?", she asked into the empty looking room. Goosebumps erupted on her skin, and a shiver went through her body.

Even though nobody responded, she heard the motion of clothes. And then: "Stay. Away."

She stepped over a dumped desk, lingering behind a closet which contained mouldy dresses. "OH my god.", she screamed out, when she discovered her companion: Sherlock had kneeled down on the floor, now bent over a closed casket. As if that hadn't been horrible enough, there was a knife spun between the edges of the coffin. On the wooden cover there was a small screen with digits to press.

"Sherlock", said Janet slowly. "You know the code, don't you?". The situation was so tense, she didn't dare breathing, holding her breath instinctively.

"I do."

Janet decided to rather keep quiet. Talking to Sherlock would only make it worse, he was probably already determining everything inside his mind already.

"3804", he said. "3804. There is no further encoding, right? There can't be. It is the written code." He closed his eyes. "Damn it. Moriarty is not dumb. He loves scams. What if the number has no relation at all? What if he only wanted to trick us. Think, Sherlock. Think!". He pressed his hands onto his head, pulling on his hair accidentally.

"Don't let him mess with you like this. You know it, Sherlock. You know the code." Janet tried not putting him under pressure, so she spoke softly, but it seemed to have no influence.

"I only know what he wants me to know", whispered Sherlock, shaking his head doubtingly.

"HELP ME", a boy screamed from the inside. Even though both of them had suspected it, hearing his voice was another level of torture.

"Yes." Regarding the look of overwhelming on Sherlock's face, Janet joined Sherlock on the floor, crouching next to him.

"3804", she repeated, pushing the according buttons. If Sherlock wouldn't do it, she would. Her heart was thudding against her chest, and she breathed heavily. Just when she wanted to press enter, Sherlock rested his hand upon hers.

"I have to take the final step", he said quietly. "I could live with being responsible for this child's death. You couldn't."

She wanted to contradict his statement, but it really wasn't the fitting situation. She knew he was right somehow, but didn't want to put that responsibility on his shoulders. "Together", she said consequently.

"As you say."

When they pushed the button, Janet had her eyes shut, as she wasn't able to bear the stress and horror of the revelation.

When the knife started milling, Janet screamed loudly and fell back.

But it was just a fraud. The grinding stopped and finally, a lock inside cracked. Sherlock opened the cover, carefully, mindfully avoiding to touch the knife and mechanic system built inside the casket. A little blonde boy appeared, his fists clenched and eyes widely opened. He didn't dare moving even a tiny bit. He was basically frozen from fear.

"Hello, Simon", said Janet softly. "We're from the police. We've come to safe you."

Tears filled the eyes of Simon. "No. I don't believe you. A man named Jim put me in here. You are companions of his!".

"We aren't", responded Janet. "If we were, we would just drag you out of there, without trying to convince you to do so, wouldn't we?"

Sherlock's eyes flicked at her in surprise.

"That's not nice", the boy said, but he seemed reassured.

"Right. But it's the truth", countered Janet, winking at him. "Come out of here, little man. Your dad's so worried you're going to miss your presentation."

He sat up, his back was stiffened and lips blue. "I hate my dad."

"I understand that. Look what he's done to me." Janet pointed at her still swollen cheek, and in the corner of her eyes she saw Sherlock rolling his eyes, though the relief of the situation was written all over his face.

"Whoa! What did you say to him?".

"Doesn't matter. You, my dear, have to go to a hospital now. If you whine enough, they might keep you inpatient long enough for you to miss that presentation."

"Will you come with me?", asked the boy enthusiastically, "And where are my friends?".

Janet searched for Sherlock's support, in vain. Eventuaully, she sighed sadly. "We're still looking for them. And no, I won't come with you, because I have to help this man finding your friends. He was the one to figure out your destination."
The boy turned towards Sherlock, who smiled awkwardly.

"Thank you much!", Simon said, wrapping his arms around Sherlock's torso.

Sherlock cringed, gesturing with his arms in despair. Janet was watching the situation with clear amusement flickering in her sharp eyes.

"Are you alright in there?", shouted John from outside.

"FINE!".

"Alright Simon, we have to go now, sorry", said Sherlock hastily. Simon let go of him, immediately grabbing Janet's hand.

"Can you walk?", asked Janet.

"Course I can. I'm a warrior", he said defiantly.

"I'm sure you are."

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓
endymion
┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

 ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━𝙋𝙪𝙗𝙡𝙞𝙨𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙙𝙖𝙩𝙚: 01 | 01 | 2021𝙍𝙚𝙖𝙙𝙨 & 𝙑𝙤𝙩𝙚𝙨 :  2

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
𝙋𝙪𝙗𝙡𝙞𝙨𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙙𝙖𝙩𝙚: 01 | 01 | 2021
𝙍𝙚𝙖𝙙𝙨 & 𝙑𝙤𝙩𝙚𝙨 :  2.44k | 174
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━