viii. SANCTUARY

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓sanctuary ┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

┏━━━━ ━━━━┓
sanctuary
┗━━━━ ━━━━┛

THE COOL-KIT HELPED decreasing the throbbing pain on Janet's eye, now starting to spread all over her face, including her jaw. Sherlock lingered into Janet's direction, immediately turning away when she caught his glance. They were sitting in a chips diner, Janet sipping on some coke light without much enthusiasm.

"Light is unhealthier than normal coke", explained Sherlock.

"I'm aware of that. I don't care about healthy." Janet watched him closely, not missing one of his movements.

He pulled his knees to his chest, sitting on the bench like a little child, though it simply didn't look childish when it was him performing the move. "I get that", he said, raising an eyebrow accusingly. "You should predicate that to your brother more often."

"I never do. I just don't tell him about ... oh no", said Janet. She choked on her coke and covered her face, hiding behind the pillar next to her.

"What on earth are you doing?", asked Sherlock with a judging undertone.

"This man", whispered Janet, nodding towards a person who was propping up on the steel of an umbrella, having just entered the diner. The picture of him wouldn't fit into the mass of chaotic, chatting people, no matter how hard you tried.

"Oh dear god", said Sherlock, staring at the man openly. "Don't tell me you've hooked up with him."

Janet pretended throwing up. "No. I'd never do that. He just... I've met him before. And he won't be pleased to see me."

The man's face lit up in recognition, and started approaching them with steady steps. Within a moment he stood still, the stalk knocking onto the floor.

"Brother", said Sherlock bitterly and without looking up.

"Nice to meet you here."

"Oh come on, don't even try to pretend you haven't tracked me down. What do you want? Make it quick.".

"Who's that young lady?", questioned Mycroft slimily. "A date?".

"No", said both of them at the same time.

"Oh, so John Watson is still your... favorite pal?". Mycroft blinked innocently.

"What. Do. You. Want?". Sherlock hit the table aggressively, causing Janet to shoot him a warning glance.

"I know you", said Mycroft, now pulling a chair further and sitting down, putting his right leg above the left. "You were the girl connect...".