ix. KNOCKING ON HEAVEN'S DOOR

┏━━━━━ ༄ ━━━━━┓ knocking on heaven's door┗━━━━━ ༄ ━━━━━┛

┏━━━━━ ༄ ━━━━━┓
knocking on heaven's door
┗━━━━━ ༄ ━━━━━┛

WHY DID YOU do it?", asked Sherlock after a while. They were heading to Apartment 221B Bakerstreet, where they were going to meet up with John. They needed to draft a new plan, for the investigations should take place rather inofficially from now on.

"We can't get Mycroft in bad troubles", Janet had said. "I don't like him, but he was only executing orders from above."

"I don't care about him being in trouble", Sherlock had responded, "But we might get stopped – for real, this time – if the prime minister becomes aware of the ongoing investigation. Let's just keep it down for some time."

So now they were on their way back.

"Why did I do what?", questioned Janet.

"You know what. Keeping them from arresting me."

"For the children, of course."

"Well... thank you, anyway."

"Yeah. What's the prime minister's name, again?", asked Janet to change the topic.

"I have no idea. Why would I care?".

"Seriously? People always tell me I'm dumb for not knowing that kind of stuff."

"I don't know it, and I'm certainly not dumb", said Sherlock, grinning at her. "But I wouldn't put my hands in the fire for your intelligence."

"You don't have to". Janet wanted to add something, but suddenly she caught a glimpse of a blue piece of fabric below a parking car opposite of her. She got alarmed instantly, crossing the street without looking. A silver volvo was hurtling towards her, way above the speed limit.

"JANET!".

She heard the voice like it was far, far away. It was too late to stop. In time loop the car sped up, getting closer and closer. Instead of trying to get away, she closed her eyes. She wasn't afraid to die. Actually, she would welcome death like an old friend.

Janet expected the crash any moment, when something surrounded her wrist. She was getting pulled away, and when she opened her eyes, the car was rushing past her. It was so close, her clothes were blowing with the wind the car caused.

"Damn it, Sherlock", was the first thing she could get off her lips.

Sherlock looked her in the eyes, trying to figure out her thoughts. He hadn't let go of her arm yet.