xiv. BREATHE

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓breathe ┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓
breathe
┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

I THINK she's up to something", said John absentmindedly, clearly lost in his trail of thoughts. Genuine concern was written all over his face. "You said she visited someone in the middle of the night yesterday. And now she's meeting up with somebody again. It's like ten years ago, but more dangerous. And there's the difference that ten years ago I knew who she was seeing." He's finger was brushing over his lip, as if it would accelerate his thinking.

"She might just hook up with somebody", Sherlock responded simply, shrugging at his friend's reproachful glance.

The both of them were walking along a deserted path, which was close to London's borders. Sherlock estimated two twin girls to be held captive near the river in this lost area, and since Janet wasn't quite available, John was his only companion for the attempted rescue.

"You don't actually think that, do you? She wouldn't be that secretive about going out with some guy. She's actively hiding something, Sherlock."

"Yes, probably. But right now, we have something else to worry about." Sherlock kneeled down, touching the mud on the ground. He then lifted his fingers, smelling the substance. He wrinkled his nose, blowing through his nostrils, then got to his feet again. "One of the girls had a drawing stored in her room. It depicted this forest, though a few miles further. I recalled this location when I was looking at it."

"You've been here before?", asked John in surprise, frowning at the man to his right, who was now speeding up, changing direction. "I have", was Sherlock's short answer. John knew Sherlock well enough to know that the conversation about this topic has come to an end.

When John cleared his throat for the second time, Sherlock finally drew his attention to his friend. "What is it, John?".

"Moriarty already showed you what he's capable of. Why come back now? What has changed? I was so sure that he'd finally given up on haunting you."

Sherlock stared at John, raising his eyebrows in disbelief. "That was idiotic. I told you that he wouldn't give up that easily. I'm his obsession; probably the only man capable of dealing with him."

"Are you?", asked John, crossing his hands in front of his chest. "Capable of putting up with him?".

Sherlock stopped walking abruptly, causing John to nearly bump into him. Slowly, with a look of indignation on his face, Sherlock spoke: "I am miles cleverer than Moriarty."

"I was just saying that...".

"Maybe you should stop saying things", said Sherlock, now resuming to their journey. "We have to turn right. They are in the woods. Woods", he repeated, while ducking under a big branch, holding it away and letting go of it only a second later, causing it to slap into John's face.