vi. REVERB EXPERIMENT

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓reverb experiment┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

┏━━━━ ━━━━┓
reverb experiment
┗━━━━ ━━━━┛

JOHN GOT off the phone, his eyebrows creased in slight concern. "I'm so sorry. This was Jaqueline, there seems to be an emergency in the practice. I think I can't leave this up to her. I'll be right back, alright?". He gave Janet an asking look, tucking his hands into his pockets, because he felt he needed to compensate his nervousness somehow.

"I'll be fine, don't worry", his sister said and a smile scurried over her face. The three of them stood in the hallways of Scotland yard, having just finished the body (or rather head) examination. They'd contemplated the case development throughout, having come to the conclusion that the woman - who was the teacher of the kidnapped children - had been strangled to death by Moriarty, or presumably a member of his network, her head cut off just after the act of killing. The explosive powder led to the assumption that a bomb or explosive material was involved in the case, how they hadn't found out yet.

"Alright then. Sherlock, be nice." John had already stepped back, but now his foot wouldn't resume the walk, being glued onto the floor, while John eyes Sherlock insecurely.

"The fact that you said Sherlock and nice in one sentence is a paradox already", growled Sherlock, letting out a small grin while turning his head. Janet chuckled a tad, but kept her gaze locked on the floor.

"Sure. I have forgotten about that." John sighed and held up his phone. "Call me if something's wrong." He didn't address it to someone specific, but he clearly had Janet in focus.

"We will", she said hastily. "But if I were you, I'd rather worry about Sherlock. I can be a pain in the ass."

John smiled, then straightened up, and remained a few seconds, until he could finally force himself to step into motion. "Have fun... or not. Don't have fun. Just investigate well!". He strid out of the door, on his way to hail a cab.

"It's just the two of use, then", said Sherlock casually, promptly scanning Janet. "So?". Expectantly, he raised an eyebrow at her.

"So, what?".

"Sexual abuse. I'm not sure whether it was something in that direction or another trauma in your past. But I can tell you were different back in the days. More emotional."

Janet looked around, wondering if they were going to start their walk outside, too, hailing a cab in order to investigate further, but Sherlock was too caught up in the moment, not realizing anything else. This conversation between the two of them was like an investigation to him, something that sparked his interest, something he wanted to solve, because something was locked inside that girl, and he'd made it his mission to find out what it was.

"John told you, didn't he?", Janet responded eventually.

Sherlock lowered his head. "As a matter of fact, he did. But I've known it before."