iii. DUST IN THE WIND

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓dust in the wind┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓
dust in the wind
┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

𝗔𝗙𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗗𝗘𝗕𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗡𝗚 for about an hour, the three of them finally agreed on ordering Fish and Chips for lunch. Even though Sherlock made his opinion very clear, passionately debating against the prospect of cooking, he didn't even touch the food when it arrived, instead inspecting the leeches, who were now crawling around in a provisional terrarium. If it weren't for the tiny creatures, besmearing the thin glass plate with their viscous mucus, it could easily be mistaken as a cabinet, whose purpose the glass showcase was originally created for.

"Interesting", Sherlock murmured repeatedly, while pressing his nose against the glass, his breath drawing clouds of water droplets onto the glass. "Indeed, very interesting."

"Sherlock, do you have to this in the kitchen?", asked John after a while. He threw the chip he'd already lifted to his mouth on the oily paper plate, leaning back with the expression of disgust in his features. "My appetite vanished at the sight of those... things."

"More for me", responded Janet, a wide smile lightening her face. She winked and grabbed two chips at the same time, swallowing slowly and pleasurably.

"Hand me some, too. I'm getting hungry", said Sherlock, just after he'd opened the cover of the terrarium. He pulled his right hand out of the terrarium, having just touched a leech, now digging it right into the portion of chips, brushing every single one of them.

"You wouldn't even recognize if you mistakenly ate a leech, would you?", said Janet amused, watching the black-haired man attentively. 

He turned around, letting the chip slide into his mouth, wiping the oil off of his upper lip. "Why would I care? They contain many nutrients."

Janet raised an eyebrow, as if she wouldn't believe him, radiating a challenging glance. "Do it, then."

"Janet, please", said John in a strict, brotherly tone. "Don't act like that."

Sherlock, however, was staring at Janet, thinking very strained. He chewed on the chip, slowly, trying to stretch the time until submitting his answer. "Okay. I will do it", he said eventually. "But I have to kill it, first, otherwise it will suck onto my esophagus. You choose one". He stepped away and smiled, his expression competing with those of people in advertisements, trying to sell unnecessary products on the market.

Janet winked at John, who shook his head disbelievingly and hit the table so hard, some chips slid to the floor. "You're insane. Both of you."

"I know", responded Janet, shooting him a provoking glare before getting closer to the terrarium, kneeling down in order to have a good outline of the contained leeches. Janet caught a glimpse of at least eight or nine gross insects in there, sucking on little snails and earthworms. The sight of them triggered a weak feeling in her stomach, which she ignored strictly, directing her thoughts in another direction. She forced herself not to tear her eyes from the pane, speaking up with loud and clear voice: "Why do you do this, anyway?".