Chapter 6 - New Opportunities

××Stormy××

I could feel Fallows heart beat rapidly under my fingertips and hear my own blood rushing through my ears.

I ducked down just as Fallow galloped through a narrow and low hanging patch of branches. The branches scratched my face and Fallows sides, but Fallow didn't falter in his quick movements. I ignored the pain and looked up, trying to find a safe exit through the trees.

The cracking of branches and snapping of wood had me looking back. The overgrown lizard was quickly gaining on us; it's much longer legs making fast work of the distance we had put between us and it. It pushed through the trees and sharp branches like they were nothing, being protected by its strong, armored skin.

Fallow grunted and stopped suddenly, throwing me forward on his back. I grasped his reins tighter, praying that I wouldn't fall as he immediately made a sharp turn after stopping.

The stop and turn cost us too much time.

A tail slapped into us, knocking both of us to the ground. I let out a scream as we toppled over. Fallow grunted out in pain as he was shoved into a tree. I pushed myself up as fast as I could and watched in panic as the giant lizard closed in on the struggling Fallow.

"Get away from him!" I yelled, throwing a knife at the creature. The knife hit but didn't stick, falling to the ground with an unheard thump. I stood shakily as it turned its beady eyes towards me. I stepped back and watched as it followed my movements, taking the step along with me. Making a decision, I turned and ran, attempting to create distance between the lizard and Fallow.

It was easy to tell that it was hot on my trail by the sound of its hissing and the foliage breaking under it's heavy, webbed feet.

I tripped on a broken branch and landed awkwardly on my arm, pausing only a second to let the pain fade and my vision return. Grabbing a knife from my waist with my good arm, I managed to hold up the blade just as the giant lizard landed on top of me.

The knife embedded into the soft flesh of its neck and it quickly drew back with a cry. It shook its head out as I crawled to my feet, already grabbing another knife out to swing. It dodged each of my messy swipes, taking a few of its own with its clawed toes. It got closer with each grab for my body.

When one of the claws caught my shirt sleeve and ripped the fabric, I decided to chance running again. I tossed the knife in the general direction of its familiar red eyes and ran for it. I saw the monster frog creature from only a few days before in my mind if I thought hard enough. The eyes were so similar.

I almost immediately tripped again, over a vine this time, but luckily caught myself against a tree. I used the tree to turn a different direction and push off, the rough bark scratching my palms. I could feel the lizards breath on the back of my neck, urging me to move faster.

I turned to look at the creature and ran directly into a wall of black clothing. I bounced backwards and began to fall, losing my balance for the third time today. A hand grabbed my arm and righted me with a forceful pull. I looked up, very disoriented, and found exactly who I thought I would. My green eyes narrowed into slits when I met his inkwells.

"We've got to stop meeting like this, cutie," Niton said with a chuckle, his large sword materializing in his hand. Once again, I fought between being angry at the disgusting nickname or trying to examine the magical sword.

In a couple swings, the lizard was dropping to the ground with a missing head. Blood pooled around Niton's dark boots and was slowly making its way to my own. The sword was gone when he turned back to meet my glare.

"Can't you just leave me alone?" I grumbled, walking towards where I had left Fallow. I could hear Niton following close behind me. It caused me to walk faster in retaliation.