Chapter 15 - Return from the Dark

××Stormy××

I typically kept the window open as I slept. The cool air felt good against my raw skin and healing burns. Tonight was no different. I climbed the stairs with Moms never ending help. She left me alone in my room after asking over and over again if I was okay.

I breathed out, finally allowing myself to relax once I was alone. Everyone had been home today since it was raining outside. They were all unhappy about the rain but we knew it was good for the scorched land. There had been zero signs of demons, Niton included, and the fairies were finally beginning to feel safe again. The kings warriors were still keeping a close eye on the edges of the island and the King himself was expanding the barrier to protect us but we were sure Raum wasn't coming back for awhile, or ever.

I dropped myself onto my bed after changing clothes and laid back. My dreams had been filled of my time in the forest with Niton. It hurt waking up to find it to be gone. I tried to close my eyes but inside I wish I could just stay awake. The rain outside helped give me something else to focus on. The patter of drops against the leafy roof and wooden walls. The sound lulled me into a daze and sleep began to overtake me.

There was a thump and my eyes were open, shooting to the wall where the window was open. A form stood against the dim light of the candle nearby. Tall, with horns, and deep red eyes. They stared right at me but the fear was gone within seconds.

"Niton?"

He stepped further into the light, confirming my question. The horns were new but it was absolutely him. There was no smirk on his face though, only an unsure smile.

"Where have you been?" I whispered, sitting up in bed. I wasn't sure if I was happy or angry at his return.

"I'm sorry I was gone for so long. I really did want to stay to make sure you were okay but Raums death changed a lot of things for me," He spoke, stepping closer and sitting on the end of my bed. I said nothing, not accepting the explanation. My eyebrow lifted, waiting for him to continue. He sighed.

"The demon realm is all run by hierarchies and power. Raum controlled many others and them being freed meant a mad grab at power," He began.

"And you wanted that power?"

"No, I wanted to get away from it. I went back to mark myself as a free demon under the council, which is not the easiest task, and brought everything back here." He gestured around him. I smiled slightly.

"What about the horns?"

"Raums death freed my own powers. I'm just me now." He sounded relieved.

"How did you get through the barrier? Even increased power wouldn't have been able to go through the kings barrier."

"It wasn't easy but Fallow was absolutely the one to get me in here. I left my mark on him before leaving, allowing me to call to him when I was ready to come back and since he can freely go through the barrier, so could I." He seemed proud of himself and honestly, I was impressed. Fallow liked him more than I thought.

"I thought you wouldn't come back," I paused, "I thought things changed between us when you were freed." It felt terrible to say it outloud. I had avoided speaking about him to my family, not wanting to worry them even more.

"My feelings for you have not changed," He assured me, reaching a hand out to take my own. His eyes lingered at the burns marring my arms; they'd leave scars. "But you never told me what you felt Stormy." The nerves set in then but knowing that he still loved me lifted a huge weight off my chest.

Unable to answer him with words, I leaned forward quickly and pressed my lips against his in an unsure kiss. It was my first. He took over after only a second, wrapping an arm around my waist and yanking my closer.

The kiss only lasted a minute or so before I was pulling back for air but Niton refused to release me, choosing instead to pull me into a hug by my waist.

"I missed you a lot," He mumbled into my shoulder.

"I missed you too."

×××××

The next morning, I was awake before anyone else despite having went to sleep even later than normal. Niton had stayed with me all night. We talked about our lives freely for the first time, telling eachother about our families and friends, our dreams and ideas. We also talked about how we were going to reintroduce him to my family. I hadn't brought him up past telling them about our time together at the cabin, but I knew my family's feelings about him. Anger or indifference. The anger sadly was mainly from my dad, who would be the hardest to convince.

We decided he'd knock on the door the next morning and see where it went from there.

Thats what led me to waking up early and making everyone breakfast, to hopefully sweeten them up before he "arrived". Mom was the first one downstairs at the smell of cooking meat. A large smile was on her face before she saw it was me.

"You are not supposed to be doing any sort of work!" She exclaimed, rushing over to me.

"Lavender says I'm fine to move around Mom," I tried to reason. My words were met with her glare. The fork was taken from my hands and I gave up trying to help after Dad came downstairs. Mom ordered him to take over the rest of the tasks, leaving me to wait at the counter for them to either finish or for Niton to make an appearance.

The light of the morning was shining through the windows and the entire family was eating in the kitchen when there was a knock on the door. I almost tripped over the stool legs as I rushed to stand up. Mom, seeing me up so fast, also chose to race for the door.

We both reached it at the same time. She gave me a hard look as I reached for the handle.

"Go sit back down," She ordered, pulling the door open quickly before I could. This completely revealed an unsure looking Niton. Moms eyes widened and her mouth gaped open at the sight.

"You!" The yell came from Dad, who was already approaching.

"Hang on," I rushed out, "Hes here to explain himself."

"You knew he would be here?" Dad asked accusingly.

"Yes."

"We are listening." This time it was Mom stopping Dad. He still looked ready to charge in but with my moms hand on his chest, he wasn't making any movements. Nitons eyes widened as all gazes were turned on him.

"I came back for Stormy," He began before quickly being cut off by my Dad.

"Why'd you leave? To tell your demon friends all about us?" His tone was completely accusing.

"I left to prove that I was alive and free to the demon council after Raum's death and then to gather my things and bring them to Mainland. I don't plan on going back to Nocturna." Niton smiled at me at the end and I couldn't help but smile back.

"Where do you plan on staying?" Mom asked.

"Our cabin." Niton said it like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Our?" Dad laughed dryly, "Stormy is going to be staying here." As much as I wanted to argue, I knew it wouldn't go over well, even if I was an adult.

"But you are welcome to visit and prove yourself," Mom added with a soft smile in our direction.

"Thanks mom," I whispered to her moments later, after everyone had went back to their breakfast. Niton had been invited to join us and it felt like everything was finally complete with him here. Even if Dad spent the entire breakfast staring daggers into the side of his head.

I hoped we'd get to have hundreds of breakfasts together in the future.

-----
An okay ending i hope? Theres an elliplogue that adds a little bit more